Chapter 31: I'm In Love With A Scary Woman

Começar do início

Out of everybody in existence, Amara has to have the worst timing. Her piercing cry started us and the figure in front of us, causing her head to snap towards us and drawing her bow for defense. My eyes fly open in shock while Odessa grabs my wrist and teleports us out of the clearing. We land in a tall tree with branches thick enough to support us, the dejavú clearing far in our view. Odessa's and my heartbeats were speeding spasticity as we scramble to calm our daughter, who is currently strapped to my back screaming her head off. Odessa get smothers Amara in her arms while I cover both of them with my wings.

"Shhh~ it's okay, it's okay~ shh- shh- shh- shh~ We're alright love, please stop crying~ we're not in the clear yet~ please stop crying, the hunters are going to find ussss~" Odessa's sing songy voice grew more and more panicked as her coos went on. Sooner than later, both Amara and Odessa were crying, causing me to take over and grab Amara into my own arms. I myself panicked, unsure what to do, and started to sing the only song I could think of. It was a lullaby my mother used to sing me when I was younger when I was overwhelmed with the world and couldn't sleep:

I love you darling,
Please don't forget that
I love you darling
You are my pride and joy
I see the stars in your eyes
O-I can
When you smile wide at me
I love you more than
The heavens love the Earth
I love you more than
The ocean loves it's shores
I love you more than
Zeus loves his affairs
And most of all,
more than Poseidon loved me

I remember there being more to the song but my voice was choked by my own throat. Memories of my mom swell up in my chest, making me miss her more than I have already. Amara was dead asleep on my chest as Odessa dries her own tears and places a shaky hand on my shoulder. She gives me a weak smile before pulling me into a weak hug around my waist.  I hold her with my free hand and guide her to sit down against the trunk with me. She places her hand on my chest, her open palm feeling my heartbeat. The breeze gently sways our branch, with no fear of it giving out from under us. I lay a kiss on the top of her head and pull her closer, all of the earlier fear of her, gone. Our relationship feels like it fixed itself a little bit, although I feel guilty about straining it in the first place for a strange feeling I got as a side effect from magic.

"Was that from your mom?" She whispers.

"...Yeah."

"It was beautiful."

...

We were woken up in the early morning by the hunter's horn. I quickly hide Odessa and Amara behind my wings to blend in and brace for the worst. I saw countless of hunter scramble underneath us, running towards one direction. Yells of orders and screams of pain were mixed over one another. I only needed small glimpses of the monster's scaly snake heads to recognize it, its face etched into my brain after Athena's engagement trails.

"A-fucking-nother one?! I killed that thing two years ago, does it have to plague my existence??!" I whispered angrily. Odessa grumbled in my arms before struggling to stand on the branch. She cradled Amara on her hip and her wings twitched with anticipation.

"We have to move, not only because of the Hydra, but the hunters are near by as well-"

"No." Her eyes widened as her jaw hit the floor. I unfolded my wings from around her and thumbed Riptide in my pocket. "I'm not leaving."