"The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and defeated! Any collaborators will suffer the same fate. These have been trying times, but we have passed the test. The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed, but I assure you my resolve has never been stronger. The war is over. The Separatists have been defeated, and the Jedi rebellion has been foiled."

    "We stand on the threshold of a new beginning. In order to ensure our security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society, which I assure you will last for ten thousand years. An Empire that will continue to be ruled by this august body and a sovereign ruler chosen for life. An Empire ruled by the majority, ruled by a new constitution!"

    Applause erupted through the Senate chamber. Riyo didn't join in. She covered her mouth with a hand and closed her eyes. Che Amanwe and Delaney clapped beside her. I don't believe this. The Jedi could...they could never. They serve the Republic. They protect us! She attempted to silence her thoughts as the Chancellor continued to speak.

    "By bringing the entire galaxy under one law, one language, and the enlightened guidance of one individual, the corruption that plagued the Republic in its later years will never take root. Regional governors will eliminate the bureaucracy that allowed the Separatist movement to grow unchecked. A strong and growing military will ensure the rule of law."

    "Under the Empire's New Order, our most cherished beliefs will be safeguarded. We will defend our ideals by force of arms. We will give no ground to our enemies and will stand together against attacks from within or without. Let the enemies of the Empire take heed: those who challenge Imperial resolve will be crushed."

    "We have taken on a task that will be difficult, but the people of the Empire are ready for the challenge. Because of our efforts, the galaxy has traded war for peace and anarchy for stability. Billions of beings now look forward to a secure future. The Empire will grow as more planets feel the call, from the Rim to the wilds of unknown space."

    "Imperial citizens must do their part. Join our grand star fleet. Become the eyes of the Empire by reporting suspected insurrectionists. Travel to the corners of the galaxy to spread the principles of the New Order to barbarians. Build monuments and technical wonders that will speak of our glory for generations to come."

    "The clone troopers, now proudly wearing the name of Imperial stormtroopers, have tackled the dangerous work of fighting our enemies on the front lines. Many have died in their devotion to the Empire. Imperial citizens would do well to remember their example."

    "The New Order of peace has triumphed over the shadowy secrecy of shameful magicians. The direction of our course is clear. I will lead the Empire to glories beyond imagining. We have been tested, but we have emerged stronger. We move forward as one people: the Imperial citizens of the first Galactic Empire. We will prevail. Ten thousand years of peace begins today."

    The Chancellor, now the Emperor, appeared to have finished speaking. Tears welled up in Riyo's eyes. Despite Emperor Palpatine's strong conviction, she couldn't help but believe that it was a lie. The Jedi would never! Her mind screamed at her again. What about Irel and Ziyah? If the Jedi are being hunted, then they'll be killed!

    Riyo glanced towards the Naboo seat. Padmé wore a grim expression, as did Senator Organa. Padmé's lips moved with silent words. Riyo knew that whatever she had said, her own heart echoed it.

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Jedi Temple
Commander Fox

    His blasters smoked from constant use. Fox rarely had his blaster settings on kill, but today had changed that. Smoke filled the Temple from the several rooms that had been set on fire. Clone bodies littered the floor. Beside them lay the Jedi they had once served.

    Members of the 501st fought alongside the Coruscant Guard as they searched for the remaining Jedi. General Skywalker had left hours ago on another mission for the Chancellor. Fox shook his head. No, not the Chancellor, he reminded himself. He's the Emperor now.

    News had come only moments ago that the Republic had been reformed into the Galactic Empire. Emperor Palpatine had announced it at the emergency Senate session. Fox's thoughts flickered to Riyo.

    I wonder how she's coping with all of this. I know she had many friends who were Jedi. Fox closed his eyes briefly. When he opened them next, a young boy ran towards him, lightsaber in hand. Clones raced after the padawan, blasters firing. The boy deflected the shots and a few clones went down.

    Fox raised his blasters and took aim. The padawan didn't get the chance to deflect his shot. He had been facing the wrong way. The boy went down, his lightsaber rolling away. The clones ceased their pursuit and nodded to Fox, before continuing on their way.

    Fox glanced at the boy and approached him cautiously. The padawan coughed and gasped for breath. He dropped down beside the boy for a moment. The child gripped his arm, tears welling up in his eyes.

    "Why...are you doing this?" He rasped.

    "There's no room for traitors in the Empire," Fox spat.

    "But we..." the boy trailed off and gasped for breath. "We didn't betray...anyone." His hand slackened and fell to the floor. Fox stared at him with mixed emotions. The boy was a Pantoran and looked only about fourteen years old.

    Fox stood and staggered backwards. He closed his eyes against the image. A Pantoran boy...a Jedi...Fox shook his head. What if our son is born Force sensitive? His breath caught and he turned away from the padawan's body. Fox tightened his grip around his blasters and ran down the hall.

    Another clone appeared in his path momentarily. Fox recognized him as Sergeant Appo from the 501st. "Appo," he called. The Sergeant halted and faced him. "I have to go check on something. I'll be back as soon as I can."

    Appo nodded. "Yes, Commander. We'll handle everything here."

    Fox nodded curtly and ran to a landing platform. He jumped onto the nearest speeder and flew across Coruscant towards the Senate apartments. He landed on Riyo's private platform shortly and entered her apartment.

    Riyo was seated on a sofa, a vacant stare in her eyes. She perked up, noticing him. Fox pulled his helmet off and caught her as she flung her arms around his neck. "What's happening? Chancellor Palpatine reformed the Republic into an Empire. He claims the Jedi tried to kill him. The Temple is on fire; I can see the smoke from here." She took in his sooty armor and the smears of blood that marred it.

    Fox swallowed. "It's true. The Jedi tried to assassinate Emperor Palpatine. All of them have been marked for termination."

    Riyo's breath trembled. "Even Irel and Ziyah? They would never betray the Republic. I know they wouldn't!" Tears spilled down her cheeks.

    Fox brushed his thumb over her cheek, wiping them away. "It'll be all right. I know they were your friends, but we can't take any chances. They may be innocent, but what if they aren't? We can't risk the safety of the Empire for the sake of two people."

    Riyo said nothing, but hugged him tightly. Fox closed his own burning eyes and buried his face in her hair. "You've been at the Temple, haven't you?" Riyo whispered.

    "Yes."

    "You've killed them?"

    He swallowed. "Yes."

    She brought her gaze up to his. "Without remorse?"

    "No," he shook his head. "This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. There was..." Fox drew in a deep breath. "There was a Pantoran boy that I killed. All I could think of was you and our son." He rested his hand against her stomach.

    "What if he's born Force sensitive? Will he be killed as well?" Riyo's eyes widened in fear.

    "No," Fox promised. He refused to let his own doubt show. "Being Force sensitive doesn't make you a Jedi. He'll be all right." He kissed her forehead. "I have to go now. Try not to worry too much?"

    Riyo nodded, then kissed him. Fox pulled away a moment later and returned to his speeder. He threw his helmet on and flew back towards the burning Temple.