Chapter 12

Weekend mornings.

Nothing sounded better to Luke than to sleep in, wake up to the lingering smell of whatever his mum cooked herself for breakfast, and lazily make his way downstairs around noon, after he'd lain in bed the entire morning. His mum knew not to wake him too early, unless they had something to do, which was rare.

So to be woken at 7:30 by a sound from his phone...to say Luke was pissed when he rolled over would be an understatement. He debated about throwing his phone out the window or turning the sound off, but settled for chucking it in the large laundry pile on the chair near the foot of his bed and burying himself deeper into the fluffy pink blankets. He was given a few moment of peace before the phone went off a couple more times. Knowing he was too awake and probably wouldn't get back to sleep, he crawled down the end of the bed and picked the phone up, getting ready to berate whoever dared to disturb him (probably one of his brothers since they were the only people who texted him besides his mum. But she was downstairs and wasn't a teenager, so she didn't believe in texting a person who was in the same house as her, and his brothers knew the earliest they were allowed to text him on the weekend was 11am.)

So then who was this?

A: Hey, Lukey, it's Ashton. (sent 7:31am)

A: Good morning! How's it going? Do you have any plans for today? (sent 7:32am)

A: Uh, IDK why you're not answering, but I wanted to go to 6 Flags today, wanna come with me? (sent 7:37am)

A: I've got half priced tickets from my mums work (sent 7:37am)

A: I guess text me back when you get up...:/ (sent 7:39am)

The last message was sent seconds ago, and Luke completely forgot his tiredness and responded quickly.

L: You mean it? Sounds like fun (sent 7:40am)

A: Of course, babe! I'll pick you up in half an hour? That sound good? (sent 7:43am)

L: Yeah, I'll be ready. (sent 7:44am)

Luke scrambled off his bed. How was he going to get ready in half an hour? Thankfully he'd showered the night before, so he just needed to pick out clothes, brush his teeth, and eat something.

What kind of outfit should he wear to an amusement park? Probably not a skirt, when he went on rollercoasters the skirt would flip up and reveal...underneath. Bad plan.

He settled on a tan, knit off-the-shoulder sweater over a black tank top and a pair of high waisted black jeans. That would be okay; it was comfortable and he wouldn't get too hot when walking around, plus it looked cute and Luke liked that. No hat or hair accessories though. It would get knocked off on the rides.

He left his bedroom after pulling on a pair of Keds, slipping his wallet and phone into a small clear backpack and went downstairs.

"WHO'S THERE?" His mum shouted, holding a scuffed frying pan up like a weapon.

"It's me mum, what's wrong with you?" Luke giggled at the sight.

Liz dropped the pan onto the counter, sighing in relief.

"Luke, you scared the shit out of me, baby!" she shook her head. "What are you doing up this early? The last time I saw you at this time on a weekend was when your appendix burst and the pain woke you up." she gasped, rushing over to him, putting her hands all over him, checking for injury. "You're not hurt again, are you? What's wrong?"

"Mum~" Luke pushed her off of him, smiling at her craziness. "I'm not hurt, I'm fine." He was seven when that happened.

"Oh." She slapped his shoulder. "Why'd you worry me like that then?"