Chapter 12.2

Ashton's car.

"Seriously, Ashton. Thank you for today."

"No problem."

"So I guess I'll see you on Monday?"

"Well it is school, so," Ashton trailed off.

They were sitting in front of Luke's house, Ashton was taking him home after their day at the amusement park. For Luke's benefit, Ashton tried to be happy and upbeat for the rest of their day, but it was late now and Ashton was tired of pretending.

He knew he couldn't keep this up. Something needed to change, Luke was too good for him. Whether he wanted it or not, Luke didn't deserve someone horrible like Ashton.

Seriously, who started being friends with someone because of a bet, and then caught feelings?

Luke would never forgive him if he found out.

"Ashton, hey?" Luke nudged his shoulder, causing Ashton to blink his thoughts away and look at the cute boy next to him. "You were thinking hard about something, are you okay?"

Luke looked angelic, sitting in the passenger seat underneath the soft moonlight pouring in from the skylight. After a day of rollercoasters, his curls were wild, flying every which direction, giving him some sort of halo effect that enhanced his innocent charm. Ashton was a goner. He shifted in his seat, raking his gaze up and down Luke's body. He didn't think he could resist his charms.

Luke's breath hitched in his throat as he looked over and saw Ashton's face close to his.

Was this really happening? Was Ashton going to...

Ashton stopped, waiting to see what Luke's reaction was. The boy was flushed, his entire face a light pink color. His eyes were closed, lips slightly parted, his head tilted slightly to the right, his body facing Ashton, slowly moving closer.

He wanted this too.

Warning bells were going off in Ashton's head. This was a bad idea. He shouldn't do this. He shouldn't want to do this! He wasn't gay, he didn't like boys.

But it seemed he did like Luke.

Ashton stopped, backing up. He couldn't do this.

He cleared his throat.

"I guess I'll see you at school then?" Ashton said. Luke startled, sitting up and opening his eyes. He saw Ashton sitting at the other end of the car. He hadn't imagined that all, had he?

"Y-yeah sounds good."

Luke hesitated. He wasn't sure if he was supposed to leave or not. It sounded final, and Ashton was trying not to look at him. His hands were gripping the steering wheel tightly, his knuckles white. Luke tried to catch his gaze. He put his hand on Ashton's arm, causing the boy to gasp. They locked eyes, and Luke smiled.

"Good night," Luke blurted out before opening the door and throwing himself out of the car. He didn't dare look back, in fear of getting trapped in Ashton's gaze again. If he found himself in his presence any longer, who knew what would happen?

Luke walked inside, opening and closing the front door, leaning back against it as he smiled and thought about the day. He heard Ashton's car start up and peeked out the sheer curtain of the window next to him to make sure he was off safely. He saw the taillights light up as Ashton sped down the street.

He sighed happily, playing a little movie scene of the last few days he'd spent with his friend. It was almost surreal how good he was feeling, it felt like he was on top of the world and nothing could bring him down.