Chapter 41

A/N: listen to the song on the side while reading. It sets the mood of this chapter. Big thanks to lukes_penguin_5sos for the recommendation! Enjoy♥~

Waking up to worried voices talking in hushed tones isn't what I'd call pleasant. I didn't want to wake up, but my body is aching and I need to move. I slowly open my sore eyes and sit up on the chair Harry must have laid me on.

I stretch my tense muscles and then, very carefully, I get off the chair and begin walking in the direction of the voices. The closer I get, the sicker I feel. I have a feeling something bad happened.

Once I reach the destination, I realise they are coming from inside a room. I raise my fist and knock lightly. "Hello?"

"Shit," a voice harshly whispers. "She's awake."

"Answer the door you idiot!" I hear the familiar sound of Niall speak up. I'm about to kick down the door, but it opens. And I'm met with a group of teary-eyed people.

"Lia," Harry says softly, his cheeks stained from crying. "You don't want to be here."

My breath hitches. "What happened?"

Everyone remains silent, none of my friends daring to speak up. I make eye contact with a very upset looking Calum, and my fists clench.

"Someone better tell me what the fuck is going on before I lose my temper," My voice comes out lower than I expected it to, but it seems to have an effect on Luke.

"Well, Harry told us you passed out when the heart monitors were beeping-" his voice cracks mid-sentence. "-and she was in such a critical state for a few hou-"

An angry, emotional voice cuts Luke off, and suddenely, my heart stops.

"She's dead, Lia," Jakes says. "She's gone."

My head is spinning, and my body seems to forget how to hold itself up. My knees collapse to the cold ground, and I start choking on my own tears. My mother, she's gone.

"I didn't even get to say goodbye," I sob, not caring about the fact I'm curled up in a ball on the ground.

"She's in a better place, sweetheart," my dad's weak voice says. "She's where she belongs."

The words are meaningful, but my bodies numb. If someone were to stab me now, I could guarentee I wouldn't feel it. My heart can't take so much hurt and agony. And now, I was going to have to live the rest of my life without a mother.

A pair of arms wrap around me, but I don't look up to see who it is. I'm sick of people dragging me out of rooms but I don't want to be here. I don't want to be in the room where my mother passed away. So I let the arms take me away, and out into the aisles of the hospital. They set me up in the chair, but are quick to scoop me up again bridal style. And this is when I know Ashton is carrying me home.

"I'll take care of you, Lia," he whispers. "I'm never leaving you."

I'm slipping in and out of conciousness, but I manage to mumble something to him.

"I love you."

_________________________________

I awake in Ashton's warm embrace, and I turn into him and close my eyes again. I don't want to wake up. Living seems like a torture right now.

"Babe, you need to wake up. You've been asleep five hours."

I groan into his chest. "What time is it?"

"Seven. Lia, if I don't get you up now, you'll never get up."

"I don't want to get up.." I mumble. Ashton sighs in defeat and removes himself from my side, causing me to moan. I just want his comfort right now.

"I'll be back in a few minutes," I hear him chuckle, a sound I have missed.

I drift off into a light doze as I wait for Ashton to return. The dreams I have pleasant. They're memories I have of Mum and I when I was a kid. When we made a cake for Jake's 12th birthday, when I made fun of her newly dyed red hair and said she looked like a fox. Little random moments flood back into my mind and although it hurts, I'm mentally greatful. It hasn't even been a day and I miss her like hell. I havn't talked to her for over a week, ever since we went to England. I didn't say goodbye.

I open my eyes when I hear Ashton push open the door, a large tray in his hands.

"Thought you might like some food," he says sheepishly. I bite my lip, and my mouth breaks into a smile. I've missed this freak.

"Thanks, Ash," I say as he sets it the tray on my lap. He made me a toasted ham and cheese sandwich with a bowl of strawberries. And he put a mug of hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows on the side.

"This is amazing," I moan as I take a bite of the cheesy toast. I let Ashton have a bite and toss him a strawberry.

"How are you holding up?" He asks hesitantly, and I sigh.

"I'm not good, Ash. I lost my mum, and I'm really exhausted. It hasn't been a good day," I mumble.

Ashton bites his lip as I take a sip from the hot chocolate. "I'm so sorry Lia. About everything."

I raise a questioning eyebrow at him. "Huh?"

"I'm sorry about your mum. You don't deserve all this happening to you. And especially the note. I realised I can't just disappear from your life, not when you mean so much to me. I want to be here for you, I hope you know that."

I'm overwhelmed by his words that I can't stop a few tears from falling. "I need you now, more than ever. I've missed you, you idiot."

Ashton laughs and rests his forehead against mine. "I've missed you too, you freak."

As he leans in to kiss me, I know my mother is smiling down at me. She would want me to be happy, and I'm certainly not letting her down.

__________________________________

A/N: I'm so done with myself after this chapter omg its so sad. Don't worry,  I still have two more chapters to go!;)

Hope you guys liked it anyways! Love you all.

~Leah x