Chapter 23

Lia's POV

I was walking. It was dark, and I was alone. I was closing in on a house, and I could already hear the shouting teenagers and overly-loud music. The reason I came, I do not know. I entered the house and made my way past sweaty bodies. I had a feeling something bad was going to happen, but I refused to leave. I kept wandering around the house until I saw it.

Jess and Ashton. Together. On the couch. Sucking eachothers faces off. Tears were spilling and they noticed me almost immediately. It was like no one else was there. They smirked at me.

"You're useless, Lia." Ashton said, pecking Jess' lips.

"Yeah, just die already. You're no good for Ashton. Never were. You're fat and ugly. Where as I'm gorgeous and skinny. Fuck off." Jess snarled and Ashton nodded in agreement. "She's right, leave."

I was frozen on the spot. I couldn't do anything. When they realised I didn't move, Ashton got up, a deadly fire burning in his usually calm eyes. He raised his hand to slap me-

I wake up screaming.

A sheet of sweat covers my body, but thats at the bottom of my list of worries right now. Does Ashton really think of me like that? Is that why he cheated? Because I'm simply no good?

My thoughts are interupted by the door flying open. The look on my brother's face has me guilty. He looks wrecked.

"Lia," he says, his tone worried. "Are you okay? I heard you screaming."

He sits beside me on the bed. Usually, Tarra would be sleeping on the bed opposite me, but I figure now that she's probably with Luke. Awe.

"Bad dream.." I mutter. Jake sighs and pulls me into a comforting hug. I gladly return the embrace. It feels good to have some quality time with my brother, although the reason for it is quite unfortunate.

He pats my matted hair. "While you were asleep earlier.."

He hesitates before he continues.

"Ashton called. He told us that he was staying with Jess."

Angry isnt what I'm feeling. I'm engraged.

My jaw clenches. "Did he give a reason?"

Jakes grip tightens around me.

"He said that he figured we didn't want him here. I told him if that's a sign of how much he wants you back, that he can stay right where he is and not return. Lia, I swear to God I'm going to kill him."

I lightly chuckle at what he says. But the pain in my heart doesn't want to leave. It hurts knowing he doesn't seem bothered to fight for me. I really thought he was different.

"Calum was lucky I forgave him. After all, he was drunk." I whisper. "But Ashton..he was sober. And knew what he was doing. I thought we were going s-somewhere Jake. My feelings for him are so strong.."

I begin to sob into my brother's shoulder.

"Lia, go back to sleep. I'll stay here for the rest of the night." Jake says and I nod, checking the time on the clock beside me. 4:47, it read.

"Sorry for waking you," I say. Jake laughs softly.

"Lia, I don't mind. I wasn't gonna leave you there screaming. Now, rest."

Jake goes to hop off the bed but I grab his arm. "Will you sleep with me? I'm sorry, I just don't wanna be alone."

Jake nods and he gets in beside me. I fall asleep again to the sound of his light snoring.