Chapter 38

I muster up the courage to speak after a long, dread filled silence. No one wants to know the problem, and honestly, I just want to curl up in a ball and cry.

"Whats..whats wrong with her?" I choke out.

Dad rests his shaking hand on my knee, and Jake's head is laying on my shoulder. We are all mentally preparing ourselves for the doctor's words.

"She's had a heart. We were completely wrong about the cancer, although there were symptoms. I-I don't know how to say this, but-"

"Say it," Jake says through gritted teeth.

The doctor looks at my father for approval, and he weakly nods. My mind is becoming fuzzy.

"Mrs.Mills is in a coma."

And that's all I hear before I black out.

_______

When I wake up, I'm not in the corridor with my brother or father. I'm in my bedroom.

I curse under my breath. Damned Jake must have brought me home! He knew well that I wanted to stay and see Mum. But of course not. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever see her again since she's in hospital..

Then I remember. She's in a coma.

Comas can last a long time, and thats what is worrying me the most. Even if I visit her, she won't be able to hear me, feel me, listen to me, or even see me. I can't let her slip through my fingertips. She's my rock. My mother. And I need her in my life, being her daughter. I rock myself back and forth on the bed, trying to regain some comfort, but it's no use. All I can think of is her dying. It's awful, I know. But if you were told your mother had a heart attack and is in a coma, wouldn't you worry about it too?

I can't stay in here, I'll go mad. I hop off the bed and prepare myself for a shower. Once I'm cleansed and refreshed, I put on sweatpants and a baggy jumper, leaving my dark hair to dry naturally. I check the time. It's only five in the evening.

Might aswell do something productive.

I walk down the stairs quietly, not caring to check for other people as I can tell they are all gone out. When I reach the kitchen, I see that Jake has left a note telling me their whereabouts and they'll be home by seven.

I feel like baking.

I check the cupboards for supplies and lay out ingredients to bake chocolate chip cookies. Yum.

Once I finish making the dough, I add chocolate chips and pieces of fudge. My mouth is already drooling as I make small balls out of the dough and place them on a baking tray, then I put them in the oven. Since they take about 15-20 minutes to cook, I skip down to the basement and grin as I lay my green eyes on my beautiful drum kit.

I take out my phone and plug it into my speakers, setting it on Here We Go by Lower Than Atlantis. I take my seat on the stool and let the song start, and soon enough, I'm playing along to the beat of the song.

Oh, we're raging on like a locamotive.

Shout, we're coming through. We're headin' for ya.

We are above all the commotion.

We are on track so get back behind us.

Here we go.

Sweat beads down my forehead as I finish the song, tossing the drumsticks to my feet as the song switches to a 5 Seconds Of Summer one. I immediately recognize it as "Kiss Me Kiss Me."

I take up the drumsticks again and start playing. This is one of my favourite songs they have written.

Can I call, wake you up on a Sunday?

Late night, I think we need a getaway.

Headlights, hold tight. Turn the radio loud.

I smile as I think of Ashton playing this. It was probably the song he put his all into.

So kiss me, kiss me, kiss me. And tell me that I'll see you again.

Cause I don't know, if I can let you go..

My head snaps up as I hear an all too familiar voice sing the chorus. He flashes a cheeky grin at me. "Continue."

I lower my head so he can't see my pink cheeks, but I still continue anyways. I just pretend hes not there.

As the song comes to an end, I throw my drumsticks to the side and wipe my sweaty forehead. I avoid eye contact with the dimply boy, and walk past him like hes not there. But he wraps a secure arm around my waist and pulls me in for a long, lingering kiss.

"You're nearly as good as me, love."

I peck Ashton's sweet lips and walk up the stairs. "Don't call me love, that's Harry's nickname for me."

I hear him groan as I check on the cookies, his heavy footsteps following me into the kitchen. "So I have competition with Harry Styles now?"

I laugh as I return the nearly-done cookies into the oven. "No, Harry's one of my best friends. You don't have any competition."

I walk over to him and take his hands in mine, giving him a small, reassuring kiss on the cheek.

"Dance with me."

Ashton raises an eyebrow at me. "I don't dance."

"Not even for me?"

"Not even for you."

I frown at him, putting a hand over my heart in mock offense. "I thought we had something."

I turn away from him and amble over to the window, staring outside. I hear him sigh, and I grin to myself in triumph.

"All right, I guess I can show you my slick moves."

"Babe, you havn't seen anything yet," I chuckle. Ashton smirks at me. "Babe, huh?"

"Yeah, unless you've a problem with that.." I say and he swiftly wraps an arm around my petite waist and takes my hand in his free one. "Of course not."

I roll my eyes and place my hand on his arm, and then we begin dancing. We keep stepping on eachothers toes at first, but we eventually get there.

"I'm taking you out for dinner tomorrow," He dips his head into my neck, lowing his other arms to my waist. His hot breath sends a shiver down my spine.

"Will you come with me to visit Mum tomorrow at around one?" I question, and he places a light kiss right under my ear. "Definitely."

I rest my head on his shoulder and we tighten our grips around eachother, as if we're afraid we'll slip away from eachother. We stay like that for a while, until our comfort is disturbed by the timer on the oven going off. It was good timing though, as I realise the gang are already home. Forty-five minutes early.

"What a lovely surprise!" Ashton squeals with mock enthusiasm and Michael slaps his shoulder with a newspaper. Jake comes in, followed by the One Direction boys. I immediately go to Harry and grip his arm. "Can we talk soon?"

His emerald eyes hold concern, but he nods. "Of course, but these guys have some news." He gestures to Tarra who is clinging on to Luke.

Tarra catches my gaze and clears her throat. "I'm pregnant, Lia. I'm going to be a mum."

_____________________________________

A/N: lots and lots of drama. Woah. Glad I have a plot though, mwuahah:3 this story will be ending inless than 10 chapters. I don't want it to be a long, drawn-out fanfic for future readers, but I do want the ending to be a good one.

Hope you all enjoy it, and thank you so much for over 2k reads. I love you all!

~Leah x