xix

NOW PLAYING...

XO by FALL OUT BOY

"Jo... Jojo," winced Zeppeli. Chains rattled and his torso fell onto the ground. With no weight opposite to him, Jonathan fell onto the ground. 

Tarkus snarled, looking at the two men. "Lord Dio, as you ordered, they're dead, both of them."

"This bloody savagery is unbelievable," Speedwagon whispered. He began to cry, "C'mon, (Y/N), you gotta think of somethin'! You're the only one capable of doin' so!"

You just looked at the lifeless body of Jonathan. "Jojo..." Tears fell from your eyes. You gripped your fists and looked down. Then, you heard a wince escape from Jonathan's lips. You slowly blinked and sniffled, drying your eyes with your arm. 

"Even with a broken neck, you have the poor taste to still be alive?" Tarkus growled. He took the chain. "Well then, allow me to finish you off."

Zeppeli struggled but managed to reach over and grab Jonathan's hand. "Jojo..." he winced.

"Aren't you quite lively for only half a man," commented Tarkus, continuing to hold the chains. 

"Freely, I give this..." Zeppeli continued. "My ultimate technique. Jojo, take it! Make it yours! Ultimate Deep Pass Overdrive!" 

Hamon ran through his body. It was an amazing sight to see, and not just because his shirt was torn off in the process. It was so bright and you were quite surprised it didn't harm you. When it was all over, Baron Zeppeli's hair had turned white and looked considerably older. "Jojo, I've passed onto you all the Hamon which was mine to control in this life."

"Go, dear friend," whimpered Speedwagon. "Go, Baron Zeppeli!"

"You've done so much for us," you said softly, walking over to the dying Hamon master. "It's finally time for you to rest easy."

You sat on your knees, holding his arms and hands. You wanted to make sure his final moments were as pleasant and they could be. You even ignored the ground shaking stomps behind you. 

"A touching display, really," Tarkus yelled, "but I'm still going to grind you into red paste--"

You closed your eyes, and sighed, putting your head up proudly. "You want to hurt me, fine, go ahead. But maybe you should think of your own well being first." Then, you smirked and looked over at Jonathan, who was pulling on the chain, causing Tarkus to hang from the ceiling.

"You--You can't do this!" he choked.

"Trust me, Zeppeli, with Jonathan as your pupil, your death won't go unavenged," you whispered to him. 

You looked back over to Jonathan, as he was trying to get the collar off him. To everyone's surprise, he managed to rip it off.  Because of this, Tarkus fell onto the ground, alongside all the chains. 

"You bug, how'd--" but he was cut off by the large pile of chains falling onto his skull. 

Jonathan stepped over to him, his figure practically glowing. "Twisted by madness, no human feeling. You gave up redemption when you chose to follow Dio."

Tarkus simply laughed in response as he was fully prepared to use his chain to attack. Jonathan breathed to get his Hamon flowing through his body. With it, he was able to grab the chains and even tore off his arm in the process. 

"Tarkus, you cannot be allowed to continue, this is clear," Jonathan said. "Your evil spirit must be banished!"

"Your time is done, thrall of Dio," you spoke gently. "Maybe I will see you in Hell, but I won't be the first one to get there."

"Enough of this blather!" he spat. "You two talk too much!"

He spat out two of his teeth, but Jonathan was unamused. "You'll have to do better than that!"

With a large growl, Jonathan punched in Tarkus's face with Hamon filled fists and sent him flying back up to the ceiling. His face began to burn away from the Hamon. Like his old friend, Bruford, his armor was left empty after his demise. 

Wind blew. Everyone was silent. In this time, Poco had come to and tears formed in everyone's eyes from relief that the brute had been dealt with and sorrow that Zeppeli was running out of time. 

"Baron Zeppeli," Jonathan finally said, walking over to you and him. "Speak to us."

Speedwagon and a now awake Poco came over as well. Zeppeli winced, finding a hard time to find words. 

"This went so wrong... It shouldn't have ended this way," you whispered. 

"Without you beside me--" Jonathan couldn't finish. He began to sob. "Without your wisdom and guidance, how will I make my way through this world?"

Zeppeli's eyes widened. "Jojo, you simply must pull yourself together. You've no time to waste now. You know what lies ahead. Now go, leave me. Settle accounts with Dio. But most of all, you must destroy the mask." He began to choke. 

"Zeppeli!" Jonathan gasped.

For this first time, you actually started to sob. You kept trying to dry your tears, but they kept coming. Your hands and sleeves damp and ruined makeup was what put yourself together now. Thankfully, you weren't the only one in this much sadness. 

"Please don't cry... No tears, I'm satisfied; I have lived my destiny... When I was young, I was very happily married," he wheezed. "But to pursue the mask, I left my family behind. However, I've never regretted the choice I made. I accept it completely... And it's good. In the end, I can see my choice was the right one." He put his shaky in his pupil's. "Jojo... You are my deliverance."

"Baron Zeppeli..."

"It seems to me that in you, I have found both a best friend and a new family." You couldn't help but give a warm smile at the dying man upon hearing his statement, yet your tears continued to flow down and drip onto the concrete ground. Zeppeli groaned, "Jojo... Through you, I will live on forever... my son, Jojo..."

His grip went soft and slowly fell out of Jonathan's. There was a common gasp coming from Speedwagon and Poco, who began to sob shortly after, so Speedwagon put his hand on his head for comfort. He was a fighter, but at that moment, Baron Zeppeli no longer had to struggle. You broke down, crying into Jonathan's exposed chest. 

-end of chapter nineteen