xi

Now Playing...

NANCY MULLIGAN by ED SHEERAN

The passage had led you and Jonathan in a dark labyrinth

"Jonathan, I'm glad I get to assist you with this," you whispered. "Despite what Baron Zeppeli says, I do not wish to learn Hamon. I... don't think I could handle it..." You bit your lip and reached for his hand, but he moved it away before you could take it. 

"That torch!" he spoke. "He could very easily see us with it!"

Soon enough, Jack came from the shadows with what looked like a giant ribcage. It managed to cut one of Jonathan's arms open and for a split second, it looked as if he would drop the glass of wine. But, he didn't. Then, Jack disappeared once again. 

You dropped the torch and made sure the flame went out. "We won't know where he's lurking, but it'll be harder to find us." You two made your way down another hallway. "Think as the baron told you to."

He inhaled. "I believe him to be close. I'll make sure my fear doesn't best me or my Hamon skill will suffer."

"That would be wise," you commented. "I want to help in the fight, not dragging your corpse back to Speedwagon and Baron Zeppeli."

He smiled at you, "I'd never do that to you, (Y/N)."

You smiled back, then looked at his wine. "Jojo, it's rippling."

He looked at it. "Just like when we were training in the stream. It's conducting Hamon. It'll pass through the glass, my arm, my body, and the ground itself. I feel it! I understand now!"

You put your fingers to your lips in shock, but couldn't help but grin for him. "Wow! That looks amazing!"

"With my heart ablaze, I've found the zombie!" he yelled, shooting his own Sendo Hamon Overdrive. "Those stones give no protection!"

He shot the Hamon through the stone and you rushed around the corner to see what would happen to Jack. His body flew through the air before turning into ash. You gasped, would that happen to you if Hamon got in your body? 

With a scream, Jack was gone. You ran back over to Jonathan, jumping on him with a large hug. "You did it! You passed his test!" You smiled warmly, nuzzling your face in his chest and trying to ignore that what you saw could possibly be your fate, too. "Such a shame I couldn't fight. I very much do enjoy putting those undead monstrosities back in their place. I apologize I wasn't of much help." You chuckled, wiping away a tear. 

He kissed your forehead. "Of course I did, (Y/N), and you were plenty of help. You calmed my nerves and seeing your face reminded me of why I'm doing all this." He picked you up and held you in a bridal style. 

Most people saw you like this unemotional woman from Ogre Street who spoke with the confidence of a thousand kings, but around Jonathan, you were a lady head-over-heels for a man you knew would treat you right and you wouldn't have to worry about fighting for survival. 

"Now then, Love. Let us return to Speedwagon and Baron Zeppeli."

You kissed him on the cheek. "Sounds like a plan."

You returned to Speedwagon and Baron Zeppeli and made your way out the tunnel. The sun was setting, making the sky a beautiful orange color. You looked at the farmers tending to their crops, your hand being held protectively by Jonathan. Suddenly, you heard Speedwagon grunt. You turned around.

"What happened?" you asked, raising a brow.

"Well... Speedwagon has been badgering me about getting him to share in Jonathan's power," Zeppeli explained. "I tried to help him create just a little Hamon like what I had done on Jonathan's first day. It seems I was a bit rough and my finger slipped."

You sighed and helped Speedwagon stand. "C'mon, man. You've been through worse. Surely this isn't that bad."

You looked at Zeppeli, who held up his finger with Hamon running through his arm. "Would you like to try as well, (Y/N)?"

"How many times must I decline, Baron?" you questioned. "I appreciate your offer, I really do, but--"

You were cut off by a boy swinging above you from a rope. He managed to swipe Speedwagon's bag before landing in the lake. 

"A well-planned crime, I salute his ingenuity," Zeppeli commented. 

You nodded in agreement. "Yes. Even I wouldn't think to do something so risky."

"How can you two praise him when he's run off with every pound we have!?" questioned Speedwagon.

"Though he did, I do say he could be of much help," Jonathan responded. "He clearly knows the land well."

"We are in agreement, then," Zeppeli said, walking towards the river. He put his hands in the water, causing ripples of Hamon to flow through it. Then, he stepped onto it.

"Oi, what's that crazy bloke doing now?" you questioned. "Can Hamon can make you Jesus or something?"

"I'm just as confused as you are," Speedwagon sighed.

Jonathan followed what Zeppeli was doing, jumping into the water with Hamon coursing through his legs, yet he wasn't on top of it and water was splashing each one of his large steps.

"Your shoes are getting wet, Jojo!" The baron called out. "For the sake of your wardrobe, try to bolster your Hamon!"

Jonathan managed to reach the cliff the boy was climbing on. Hamon steaming from his arm and fist, he punched the cliff.

"They're talking, but I can't hear what their saying," you said to Speedwagon. "Should we go over there and see what's going on?"

He thought for a moment. "No, let's wait to make sure we're not putting ourselves into danger."

"Like we don't do that already," you scoffed.

"Or didn't back on Ogre Street."

You two chuckled before you heard the kid yell. You watched as he fell from the rocks.

-end of chapter eleven