xvi

NOW PLAYING...

AS IF IT'S YOUR LAST - JAPANESE VERSION by BLACKPINK

With his hair tied around Jonathan's large, muscular body, Bruford pinned him against a nearby tree

"This is terrible," Zeppeli spoke with worry for his pupil, "only the legs and arms can be used to project Hamon."

"His arms are bound," you sighed with nervousness. "He won't be able to blast through the hair."

"I would love to help," Speedwagon commented, "however, we have some things of our own to worry about. It seems our ol' pal Tarkus fancies a dust-up."

But a glance and you were all able to see Jonathan successfully use Hamon to disintegrate Bruford's arm. It bubbled like boiling water, then it was gone.

You hummed joyously. "The number of times he makes my heart skip a beat with anxiousness is equal to the amount skipped due to love and joy!"

"He's so smart!" commented Speedwagon. "Using the sword to hoist Bruford by his own bleeding proton? Who thinks of that!?"

Jonathan ripped the remaining strands of hair from his frame, "My blood is a symphony within me! Sunlight yellow overdrive!"

He sent several punches onto Bruford, who was unable to fight back and, as a result, was sent flying. The baron gasped.

"Well done," you spoke softly, unable to control how happy you really were, and giving a nod of pride.

"There we go," Speedwagon commented. "That's it. It's about time we heard that welcoming crackle Hamon gives."

You hugged Speedwagon out of happiness. "Jojo is going to be okay!"

He chuckled, letting you hold onto his arm as you both eagerly watched what would happen next. To your dismay, Bruford wasn't down yet. He used his sword to keep him up with his sword.

"I am the Black Knight Bruford," he grunted out. "Strike me down as thou wilt, but your pain is nothing!"

"Look out!" you called out to Jonathan.

"He's still dangerous, mate!" Speedwagon added.

With a grunt, Bruford leaped towards Jonathan once more. But... he did nothing. When Bruford swung his sword, you three gasped.

"Jojo, do something!" you cried out. "You gotta!"

But none of your clamoring did anything, and seemingly, neither did Bruford's sword. It stopped right at Jonathan's cheek.

"They've both gone mad," Speedwagon commented.

You nodded, unable to form words as your heartfelt as though it was about to burst from your chest. "I can't say I'm aware of the reasoning of his hesitation, but I'm glad there's a chance for Jojo's survival nonetheless."

A red liquid trickled down the sword's blade, a realization to you that it was, in fact, Jonathan's blood, but clearly not enough to pain him. Speaking of which, Jonathan turned to Bruford and said:

"A moment ago, you expressed the pain you felt was practically nothing, meaning you can feel agony and aches again."

The baron gasped, "The flowers... they're blooming around him." Bruford's torso fell off his legs from the Hamon that had entered his body. You gasped. "A long-forgotten pain has returned to him, the one only humans can feel."

Speedwagon and Zeppeli looked at you. With your hands together, you looked away from them shamefully. You wanted to cry because the realization just hit you--you would never feel pain again, and though when you were a human that seemed ideal, it took you until you were undead to realize that sort of feeling was what made you alive. You said nothing to them.

"Speedwagon, observe," Zeppeli continued. "Watch as the zombie body succumbs to Hamon's power but the noble soul residing in it gets redeems. I believe if something were to happen to our deal (Y/N), a similar occurrence would happen."

You perked up, walked up closer to the cliff. "Whatever do you mean, baron?"

He nodded his head towards the other men. "Watch carefully."

"I could sense the good in you, that's why I didn't move away," Jonathan explained to his opponent, on one knee as a sign of respect.

"It's like all the hate that rose with him when Dio raised him back into the world of the living are gone," expressed Speedwagon. "His features are just as gentle as (Y/N)'s! It's almost as if he was catching up with an old mate of his!"

You looked at Zeppeli, "Are you saying... if I were to die--all be it Hamon or some other unnatural occurrence--I am to be just as calm and unresisting?"

He nodded. "Yes, but please... continue watching and do it ever so carefully. I want you to witness it if the time unfortunately ever comes. You'll know what to expect and thus, can die peacefully."

"You're saying this like you know she's gonna die!" Speedwagon butted in, but you understood the Hamon master's reasoning and thus, watched with delicate eyes what would happen to Bruford.

"Your faith in human kindness is rare," coughed the long-haired, undead man to Jonathan. "Going to my rightful end, I'm glad to have the ability to cherish what once was my humanity, and all that proves it still within me. It brings to me joy and tranquility as the embers within me dull and takes with it the bitterness that was once flowing through my veins. Isn't it ironic that I live only give thanks to the man who slaughters me once more? I can finally return to my one, true master. May I know the name of the warrior who has bested me? Would you kindly give me that honor?"

"Jonathan Joestar," he responded.

"And the woman who lives like me?" he questioned. "The one burdened by the curse of immortal life and days spent hiding from the sun's energy, the very same one that once filled her with vigor, yet still has her human heart uncorrupted?"

Jonathan glanced up at you with a smile, then back at Bruford, "her name is (Y/N) (L/N)." You jumped down from the elevated ground and stood beside Jonathan, holding onto his muscular arm and resting your head on his shoulder. 

"Sir Jonathan," Bruford spoke, "I leave you this sword, given to me by my precious queen. There is a word engraved upon it, luck, but I will affix my own benediction: pluck."

"Sir Bruford--" But before Jonathan could finish his statement, Bruford finally succumbed to Hamon and his body turned into small particles that flew into the air and out of the armor. "Go on and rest, then. Let no one tell you that you have not earned it."

You buried your face into Jonathan's arm. You didn't want to see such things anymore.

-end of chapter sixteen