chapter 42 - So I'll try

Start from the beginning

“Uhm, Varian could you give me a hand here?” 

Varian bursts out laughing, “Yeah just one second this is hilarious!”

You pout, “Okay, so funny just give us a hand please!”

“Alright!” He unclips you from the machine causing you to fall taking Varian down with you into a pile.

“You know, we’ve gotta stop getting into situations where I fall or get hurt.” You stand up giggling while helping Varian up.

“I can agree with that…” he laughs too.

After a few minutes, there's a knock on the door.

 Quirin comes in, “what's all the noise in here?” He stops talking and stares at you.

“(__), can I talk to you alone, for a few minutes?” Before you can say anything he grabs your wrist and pulls you to his room.

“Quirin, I can explain-”

He interrupts you, “You snuck to those rocks again when I have forbidden you to go near them didn't you!?”

He calms down, “I need to ask you to stay away from Varian…”

“What!? No! If this has  gotta do with this stripe in my hair then-”

He interrupts you again, “You are dangerous now! You don’t belong here! You don’t belong anywhere! If you love Varian then you would stay away!” He walks out slamming the door behind him.

The stripe in your hair starts glowing, it weakens you but you can’t control it.

You lean on the wall not knowing what to think, for a few minutes you sit on the floor in silence. Leo was outside stretching his wings so it was just you alone in a room.

A few more minutes went by until you see the door open, Varian.

“Hey, What did my dad say to you?” He sees you curled up in the corner with your white stripe glowing extremely bright, “(__)!! What's wrong!” He runs up to you and tries to hug you but you don't let him.

“(__), Whatever my dad said to you don’t listen he can get angry sometimes but doesn’t everyone? Just tell me what's wrong.” He puts his arm around you.

 Tears fall down your face, “Varian, your dad is right I don't know what this stripe in my hair is and it could be dangerous… you should stay away from me.” You turn away from him.

“I wouldn't stay away from you even if my life depended on it.” he runs his hand through your hair causing the white hair to stop mostly.

“Well, we now know your hair reacts to me? Progress!” He grins.

You smile, “I suppose that's progress, but what about your dad? I mean he wants us away from each other.”

“I'll go talk to him, but has anything else happened apart from the glowy thing?” He helps you stand up.

“Uh, no it just glows in random times… but I've only had it for a day so I don't know what it does.” 

You both walk to your and his bedroom, “Strange… you should get some rest, you look pretty weak…” 

You nod and climb up to the top bunk, Varian stands on his bed and holds onto the side of yours. He strokes your head making you fall asleep quicker.

Just like you did with Varian, he had an urge to sing to you. “When I see you cry, what I’d give to hold you. But my hands are tied, so I’ll watch you cry…”

He stops stroking your head, “When I see bleed, what I'd give to heal you.”

He hops down off his bed, “In your time of need… If I dont I won't succeed.”

He picks up your satchel that's on the floor and looks in to see your journal. 

“So I’ll try…”

“Yes I’ll try…” he takes out your journal and looks through it to see all the drawings you’ve drawn.

“You are not alone.” He looks at the picture you drew of you both watching the lanterns at the docks.

“There’s a love beside you,” he sees a drawing of you and Sebastian racing Corona wall.

“Though this wall is stone, you are not alone…” He picks up your satchel again and puts your journal back to find all the letters he sent you.

“Let me lead your way, more than just a shadow. With you every day, beside you, to guide you away.” He puts everything back in your satchel and walks to the door. 

“And I'll try, yes I'll try.” He walks out of the door and runs to the kitchen to see his dad isn't there but he's on the top of the hill near the carrot patch so he starts running up.

“These minutes slip through hands of time, And the hill is steep, And I know talk is cheap. Oh, but we'll be ok, So trust me as I lead the way.
Yeah, we'll be alright if you just hold on tight. Cause I try.
Yes I try
And I try
Yes, I try…”

“Dad! Why did you say that to (__)?!” Varian says while panting for breath.

Quirin ignores him and walks back down the hill.

“Dad, just tell me I can handle it!” he shouts.

“Varian, leave it! (__) is too dangerous to be near! She’s not welcome! Just stay away from those rocks, If she can’t be trusted to stay away from some rocks I can’t trust her at all…” Quirin raises his voice and walks faster.

Varian couldn't believe what his dad just said, “Dad! How can you say that about her!?”

“Varian what did I just say! She’s the one who messed up not you.” Quirin keeps walking.

Varian remembers a quote he saw from looking in your journal, “Dad when you're a family you can’t mess up. You can make mistakes but those can be fixed...” 

Varian runs down the hill leaving his dad standing there once again schooled by a teenager.

Varian runs back into your room to check on you.

He sees your hair stripe slightly glowing, he stands back on his bed and runs his hand through your hair making it stop glowing completely. You smile slightly in your sleep.

Varian smiles back at you, “When I see you cry
What I'd give to hold you
But my hands are tied
So I'll watch you cry…”

He goes into his bed to go to sleep, he was exhausted like you.

He whispers, “so I will try…”