Chapter 2: Do You Wanna Dance?

"Do you want to dance with me?"

As soon as the words had left his mouth, the instant realization of what he said hit him like a freight train. The words hung in the air for an agonizing moment, twisting and turning but never subsiding. Marie stared blankly ahead, her gaze fixed on Double D, and within that moment, her stupor had ended, and a new affection arose on her face. Seeing this, Double D stood and extended his hand to her, inviting her.

"Come on it'll be fun."

The song began to play, and the mood changed once more, both felt it strongly. Marie's eyes were transfixed on his outstretched hand, no longer had she felt alone or lost, instead she was filled with excitement and curiosity. Slowly grasping his outstretched hand, she rose to her feet. Double D hadn't had much experience dancing, the only time he could recall ever doing so was at the school dance a few years prior. The entire event had been a fiasco, with the school having to briefly close for repairs, in spite of a botched dance and damage to the school, he had enjoyed himself that night, much to his surprise. Right now, however was different, much different than before, unlike that botched dance, this was his choice.

"Ok, Marie just follow my lead."

Uncertainty wormed itself into his mind, his breathing hitched, and he wondered, "What am I doing, this is crazy I can't dance!" These last few years had paid dividends for Double D's confidence but as the saying goes "old habits die hard." After all he had, without a doubt never done anything like this. Just as he began to question his decision and let his old vices get the better of him, he looked to Marie and the look on her face said it all. It dissuaded any doubt... she was smiling and seemed to be having fun. She coyly admired him behind her peek-a-boo bangs.

"Sure, thing muffin, show me your moves."

"Muffin" he thought, it was one of her many nicknames for him, funnily enough she hadn't said it this entire evening, it seemed her old self was beginning to return.
He pulled her close, and his nerves were set ablaze, but Marie's enthusiasm worked to lightly dull them. It was now that he really took notice of Marie. Her azure hair that always covered her right eye, her slim frame, and scruffy clothes. Double D was slowly becoming aware of his attraction to her, she had a certain unkempt appeal. He began to blush due to the sudden intimacy, Marie seeing this felt a sense of pride, and felt the urge to tease him. Just as she opened her mouth to speak however, she was pulled back by Double D and the two began a waltz. Neither of them had much dancing experience, chalked up mainly to Double D's anxiousness and Marie's brash personality.

"Feeling confident are we buddy boy?"

Marie slyly smiled at Double D and leaned in close and whispered

"Y'know if you want to get closer, you just gotta ask."

A lump formed in Double D's throat, he felt heat rising to his face and sweat forming on his forehead, "Even for Marie this is brash."

"I'm sorry if I was being to forward Marie, I didn't mean to-."

Double D was cut off by Marie leaning her head on his chest, all at once everything seemed to grind to a halt and his mind was transfixed on her.
He spoke softly "Are you okay Marie?" Concern and confusion were the item of his current thought process, it seemed that for all his plans and ideas they were for naught. "I've only made things worse, why did I think I could make her feel better?"

"Thanks, Double D, you're sweet, no one's ever done this much for me." Marie looked up at him. "If you were just a little different, you'd be a real heartbreaker."

Marie had begun to coyly draw circles on Double D, completely transfixed all he could do was stare at her, totally absorbed. He felt himself drawing closer to her face, Marie likewise followed suit. Soon they were merely inches apart. Double D could feel the heat of her breath on his lips. Its scent filtered through his nose, "Huh tater tots, oddly familiar."