Chapter 31

Shikamaru POV~

The blow never landed.

A dark blur darted from the trees just as the tip of the spike was about to rip through Hidan's body. A well-aimed kicked sent the damned psychopath flying backwards and skidding on the ground, another flicked wrist knocking the scythe and weapons the other direction. 

Sasuke's speed was something I have experienced many times before, but never had his timing been so goddamn perfect.

I couldn't help sagging in relief. Even if the battle wasn't won, the immediate danger was no longer immediate. At the very least it was delayed.

Asuma wasted no time standing and getting in position with Sasuke.

"Nice to see you, Sasuke."

"Hn." Sasuke drew his katana, eyeing Kakuzu, "Where's the rest of the team?"

Kakuzu narrowed his eyes at him. "You expect me to answer your question?"

"No, but I would appreciate it."

Kakuzu snorted, "Watch your mouth, brat."

Sasuke just flicked his gaze towards the trees. Four shapes flickered from the forest just as seconds later. Sasuke tilted his head in their direction, but didn't look back.

"Never mind. Found them."

Hidan sneered from where he got up. "I'll get you for that you piece of shit!"

Sasuke glanced at him and proceeded to ignore him, which only seemed to piss off Hidan.

"HEY! Don't ignore me dumbass!"

Kakashi stepped forward, "Shikamaru, you okay?"

I looked up, "Yeah."

Kakashi nodded. 

Sasuke turned to look at us. Contrary to popular belief, the emotionless mask on his face did not particularly mean he didn't have emotions. I knew what to look for by now, enough to notice the concern and guilt flicker over his expression when he glanced at me. Most of the time, even I couldn't gauge his reactions with his extremely good poker face, having to rely on his actions and responses to get what he's thinking. 

I noticed now.

He was suppressing his feelings, his face unnaturally still. 

Then Kakuzu moved.

Predictably, he went for Asuma and Kakashi first, swiping a kunai just inches from Asuma's face.

"I'm not leaving without my bounty." he growled. 

Of course, by then I'd caught my breath, at least enough to perform another shadow possession for a couple minutes, but he didn't need to know that. Right now, he seemed convinced that I wasn't much of a threat and proceeded to leave me alone.

He was only aware of his mistake when he was caught by the shadows from behind.

I could feel the familiarity of it, the darkness slipping out from under me, controlled and precise as it snaked its way towards the other man. The next moment when he stepped down, he was paralyzed. 

"You're a pain in the ass, you know that?"

That voice had come from behind me, laced with irritation and hysteria. 

That voice also began to spew curses and insults when he realized his sneak attack didn't work.

"Stupid bitch!" Hidan screeched, writhing as the shadows held him in place, wrapping around his limbs and torso and restricting his movement. Sweat dripped down my face and neck, and my muscles were strained, and oh how I wished to be anywhere but here.