29

December 25th
Tris's POV

I feel multiple pairs of feet slam into my body, pushing me against the bed. My hazy mind registers laughter and screaming. I press my hand to my face, rubbing my eyes. It's early, very early. I hear Tobias groan next to me.

"Come on, come on!" I hear Bellamy whine again.

"Wake up, mommy!" Blakelyn adds.

"Dad!" River says, dragging out the word. I hear a thud, assuming Tobias got pulled out of bed, literally. I hear a small laugh escape my mouth. Just then, I feel my limbs being pulled in all different directions.

"Noo," I groan.

"But it's Christmas!" the three of them exclaim at once. Tobias and I let out weak laughs.

"What time is it?" I ask to anyone listening.

"6:24," River says. "An hour later than last year." I groan again.

"Five more minutes?" I hear Tobias ask like he's a little kid. I smile.

"No!" the twins shout.

"Santa came last night!" Blakelyn continues.

"Fine," I say, rolling over, finally opening my eyes. The three of them sit next to me, all in their matching pajamas. I smile, reaching for them, pulling them in my arms. They all giggle. Tobias then captures all of us in his ars, making us fall back onto the bed. In no time, all hell breaks loose as a tickle fight begins.

The kids' laughter fills the room, along with my shrieks as Tobias tickles me. I tickle whoever I can, reaching for the twins or River. Somehow, my lips end up on Tobias's, ending the fight with the kids going "aww." I laugh even more.

"Okay, guys," Tobias says. "Do you want to go see what Santa brought you?"

"Yes!" they all shout.

"Okay," I say, quieting them down. "Go wait in your rooms while mommy and daddy get the camera and some coffee!" I smile. Every year we make them wait just a little while longer. I watch them all hurry off into River's bedroom as I take Tobias's hand.

"Ready?" I ask.

"Ready."

Tobias's POV
I follow Tris down the stairs, hurrying into the kitchen to make us each a cup of coffee. I hear Tris "ooh" and "aww" for a dramatic effect on the kids. I smile, shaking my head. Tris hurries to find the camera, meeting me in the kitchen.

"Here," I whisper, kissing her forehead, handing her the cup of coffee.

"Thanks," she smiles. Before I know it, she takes a picture of me, giggling while she hurries out of the kitchen. I roll my eyes, laughing.

"Okay, guys!" she calls upstairs. "You ready?"

"Yes!" the kids call back.

"Come on!" I say, hugging Tris.

I beam as I watch our three kids run down the stairs with the biggest smiles on their faces. Time seems to move in slow motion as I watch each of their faces light up with childhood delight when they see the display of presents left for them. I hear them gasp, the girls covering their mouths when they see the display in front of them.

"No way!" River shouts, running to her stocking. The twins do the same, running to theirs. I hear the clicks of the camera in Tris's hand next to me.

All I can do is take in the sight of my beautiful family.

"Okay, guys, come sit on the couch to open your stocking," Tris says, smiling just as much as I am.

Every year, we have them open their stockings first, then the presents from Santa. To try to make the day last longer, we make them wait to open the rest until after breakfast. Then, we are all going to Zeke and Shauna's new apartment for a big Christmas dinner.

"Sit with me, daddy!" Blakelyn says, patting the spot next to her. "Look what Santa brought me!" I smile.

***

I lean back on the couch with Blakelyn curled up in my arms, sucking on a candy cane. Tris sits with River, doing her makeup with what she got from Santa. Bellamy sits in the middle of the room, playing with toy soldiers, dolls, and trucks. The princess dolls seem to be saving the soldiers from evil trucks. I smile.

"Can you make breakfast, mommy?" Blakelyn asks.

"But you aren't going to be hungry if you eat that," Tris says, pointing at the candy. "I guess we will have to wait longer." She sighs, laughing a little.

"No!" the kids call out at the same time. We laugh.

"Okay then, put that candy away!" Blakelyn jumps up, running to put her unfinished candy cane in a plastic bag.

"You're all done, Ri," Tris continues, setting down River's new makeup pallet. She holds up a mirror, River immediately smiling when she sees herself.

"Thank you!" she says, hugging Tris. Tris smiles.

"Okay, how about you guys pick up all the wrapping paper while mommy and I made breakfast?" I say.

"Okay!" River says, hopping up.

"Come on, Bells," she says, pulling him up to help clean up.

Tris and I make our way into the kitchen. I grab eggs and bacon out of the fridge while Tris grabs some muffins and pastries.

"So," I say, hugging her from behind as she stands at the counter, cutting fruit. "What's my surprise?" I smile, kissing her neck.

"You've got to wait until after breakfast," she shrugs, trying to hide her smirk. I groan, stepping back to the stove to make the eggs. I hear Tris giggle.

I no time, all of the wrapping paper has been discarded from the living room and the table is set. Eggs, bacon, fruit, pastries, muffins, and orange juice decorate it.

"River, Blakelyn, Bellamy!" I call. "Breakfast is ready!"