Chapter 4

"Oh, Cole, it's so good to see you, dear."  My mother greeted Cole with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.  

"Great to see you too, Mrs. Brown," Cole answered politely. 

"Oh please, darling, call me Carol." Cole nodded

"Always a pleasure, Cole," my dad reached out his hand.

"Likewise, Mr. Brown," Cole returned the handshake. 

"And, please, call me John."

"Of course, John," Cole replied, before turning to me.

"Anna.  You look beautiful today," Cole greeted me, embracing me in a hug and placing a kiss on my cheek.  

"Thank you, Cole.  I'm glad you're here."  I'd dressed in a pair of khakis and a navy blue sweater.  Cole was dressed in a pale blue button down and dress pants.  

I was mortified that my mother had insisted on fixing lunch for all of us before Cole and I went out.  She felt it would be wonderful for us to catch up.  

We took seats at our dining room table as Mom passed out the plates of sandwiches she'd prepared.  

"It looks delicious, Carol.  Thank you."  Cole was perfectly polished and polite all the time.  I felt a bit like an actor on stage as lunch proceeded.

"So, Cole, how is school going so far this year?" my dad asked.

"Well, it's great, actually, John.  I had a 4.0 again this semester and I've joined student council."

"Well, that's wonderful, Cole. I wish you could get this one to study that hard."  He motioned towards me.

"Dad!  Chemistry is a little harder than public policy!" I blurted out.  Everyone's eyes widened as they looked at me.  "Sorry," I continued.  "I've just been feeling a little stressed.  But I do study hard."

"Yes. Nearly every time I call her she's busy studying," Cole defended me.  I felt mildly guilty.  It was usually true, but sometimes I just wanted to get off the phone with him.  

"Well, our Anna still does very admirable work," Mom chimed in.  "A 3.7 is hardly shameful.  And she already completed two advanced labs this semester."  

"I'm more interested to hear about the concert Anna went to last night," said Cole, changing the subject.

"I think we all are," my dad added.  I wanted to disappear.  I felt like an insect under a microscope.  

"Well, it was fun," I started.  "It was just a few local bands.  No one big.  You guys all know I've been interested in the music scene around here since high school."  

"So, which band was your favorite?" my mom asked.  

"Well, there's one band called Nirvana.  They're pretty talented.  The bassist's girlfriend is actually who I made friends with last night."  

"Are those really the sort of people you ought to be befriending?" my dad demanded.

"John!" my mom interjected sharply.  "It's fine for her to make friends.  Go on, sweetheart."  I felt sick from their scrutiny.  I hated having every aspect of my life dissected.  

"Well, her name is Shelli, and her boyfriend Krist plays bass in the band.  She invited me back to a small get-together at their house last night and I hung out for a bit.  That's really it."  

"Well, we just hope you had fun, dear," my mom answered, while Dad and Cole both frowned.  

"They're really nice people.  And I did have fun," I defended myself.  "Cole?" I turned to my boyfriend.  "I think we ought to head out.  There are a lot of shops I was hoping to check out before dinner."  

"Of course," Cole answered.  "Thank you so much for lunch, Carol and John.  I'll see you both again soon."

"Of course, dear.  Any time," my mom answered.

"You're always welcome here, Cole.  You two be careful out there," said my dad.  I turned my back and rolled my eyes as I headed to grab our coats.  I could hardly stand all these disgustingly fake formalities.  

"See you guys later!" I called to my parents as we headed out the door.  

________________________________________________________

"I think we've found gifts for just about everyone," Cole commented as we stepped out of the women's clothing boutique where I'd found a scarf for my mom. Our arms were laden with packages.  It was nearly nightfall and snow flurries were falling from the sky.  The stores were all aglow with Christmas lights and the streetlamps were all adorned with boughs of pines.  It looked like a scene from a Christmas card.  

"Would you like to head to dinner now?" Cole asked.  "We can drop the packages off in the car."  I looked up ahead and saw the record store I'd visited a few times.  It had been nearly a year since I'd gone in.

"Do you mind if I take a look first?" I asked, motioning ahead.  "You can wait out here if you want."

"No, no.  Of course.  I'll come with you."  Cole followed as I excitedly approached the entrance.  I found myself wondering if Nirvana had an album for sale.  If they did, maybe I could pick it up.  

It was crowded inside as I squeezed myself through the narrow rows of cassette tapes, my eyes scanning through the titles.   Cole struggled to keep up behind me.

"Hey!  Anna!" I heard a voice that sounded familiar and glanced up.  There was Kurt, standing no more than three feet away from me.  My jaw dropped. 

"Hi Kurt," I answered slowly. 

"I didn't think I'd run into you so soon" he replied.  

"Um, yeah, me either."  

"Hey, do you think maybe we could step outside and talk for a minute about what happened last night?  I feel really bad..."  Just then I felt Cole brush against my back and grab my hand.

"Kurt," I said, cutting him off.  "This is my boyfriend, Cole."  I saw Kurt's blue eyes sink with a shock and sadness that made my heart ache instantly.  "Cole, this is Kurt.  He's the lead singer of the band I was hanging out with last night."  The two of them shook hands, eyeing one another tentatively.  

"Nice to meet you," Cole offered.  

"Yes, you too," Kurt answered flatly.  "Well, it looks like you two are busy.  I won't keep you."  Kurt squeezed his way around us, his blue eyes boring into me all the while.  

"Kurt," I managed.  

"Yeah?" he replied, raising his eyebrows.

"It's good to see you again."  

"Sure is."  He gave me one final look and turned to head for the door.  As I watched his retreating figure, I felt my heart sink into my stomach.  

"Well, he seems like kind of a jerk," Cole commented.  "What was he saying about last night?"

"I'm not exactly sure.  He was an asshole to me last night too.  Maybe he was going to try to apologize or something."  It wasn't completely a lie, I kept telling myself as Cole and I headed for dinner.