chapter four. shred the piano

Dahlia snaps her fingers as her outfit changes before she stands next to the group as they start singing and playing music before Julie walks in telling them to cut it out. "The whole neighborhood could hear you. Can't you guys just leave?" Julie asks looking at the group.

"Mean," Dahlia says putting down her electric guitar. "Wait. People can hear us play?" Luke asks looking at Julie. "Yes! And so did my dad and brother!" Julie scolds looking at the group.

"Wait... So only you can see us and Dahlia can touch you but everyone can hear us?" Alex asks with a smile. "I mean, what kind of ghosts are we?" He questions. "Who cares, man? People can hear us play!" Luke says fist-bumping the three.

"We might be dead but our music isn't," Reggie says fist-bumping the group too. "Dad!" Julie says looking at the man who walks into the studio.

"Just making sure you're okay," the man says looking at the girl. "Yeah, I'm fine. I just had to turn off the CD player," Julie explains.

"Wait. Is this the junk that was in the loft?" The man asks looking at the instruments. "Junk?" Luke and Dahlia ask at the same time as Julie's dad hits the drums. "Yo, stop touching by drums. Tell him to stop touching my drums," Alex says looking at Julie.

"I liked that song you had on," Julie's dad days moving away from the drums before touching Dahlia's guitar. "Please don't," she says as he walks away before she sighs. "He's a fan," Luke says referring to the previous comment. "Sunset Curve. Tell your friends," Reggie says with a smile.

After Julie's dad leaves it's just her and the ghosts. "He liked our song," Like says with a smile. "Oh, yeah. He doesn't count. He's a dad," Alex explains. "What's a dad? Never had one," Dahlia explains.

"Why can't you guys just be normal ghosts? Hang out at an old mansion. I hear Pasadena's is nice" Julie says looking at the group. "We'll make sure to check it out," Dahlia says with a laugh as Julie grunts before walking out.

"I think she's warming up go us," Alex says looking at the group. "I've always wanted to go to Pasadena," Reggie says looking at his friend. "Let's go!" Dahlia says grabbing his hand before the two disappear.

They come back to see Luke and Alex standing out of the studio. "It's really nice," Reggie says with a smile. "And a lot of cute girls," Dahlia adds. "Shut up," Alex says as she laughs. "And Julie said were allowed to stay," He adds as Dahlia and Reggie scream before hugging each other.

The group soon sits on top of the Orpheum. "Hey, I know being dead isn't our first choice-" Luke says as Dahlia cuts him off. "It was mine," she says as Reggie hugs her. "As I was saying. It's pretty easy to get around," Luke continues. "Easy for you, maybe. I lost my shirt," Reggie says as Dahlia laughs pulling away before his shirt appears.

"Nevermind. There it is," Reggie says with a smile. "I'm telling you guys. This is like our second chance to play here," Dahlia says as they disappear before reappearing on the ground as they walk around for a while.

The next day they head back to the studio to see Julie playing piano and singing as they watch. Dahlia tries to go reach for Julie when she's done singing but Luke pulls her away before they disappear and reappear outside.

"Hey! I was gonna hug Julie," Dahlia says looking at Luke. "Trust me. What Julie needs right now is privacy," Luke explains. "You just can't handle people crying. I should know. Dahlia was the one that comforted me as I cried for twenty-five years," Alex says looking at the group.

"Sorry. Bring it in," Reggie says trying to hit the boy. "Don't touch me!" Alex says looking at him. "And you wonder why I didn't hug you," Reggie says as Dahlia laughs.

"I think the first thing we should do, once we get the courage to get in there, is ask Julie... Why she lied about playing the piano," Luke says as the group nod.

"And tell her how amazing she is," Alex adds. "And beautiful," Dahlia adds after Alex's comment. Suddenly a girl walks past them crying. "Everyone is crying. Should I cry too?" Dahlia asks looking at the boys. "I don't think you can cry," Luke says as Dahlia rolls her eyes.

"We should listen," Reggie says as Dahlia shakes her head. "I'm gonna sit over there," she says looking at the boys. "Whatever," they say as she walks away from them. Julie and her friend walkout as she says hey to the group and Dahlia who was sitting away from them.

"What?" her friend asks confused but Julie just laughs before pulling her friend. The four head into the studio as Dahlia sits at the piano. "Her voice is like, angelic," Dahlia says looking at the boys.

"And she can shred the piano," Reggie adds. "Wait, I have to go somewhere," Dahlia says before disappearing.