Chapter 2: The Trouble with the TV

"Mommy the TV's not working!"

Her 7-year-old brother yelled from the living room. Her mom's getting ready to leave for work while she's in the kitchen in front of her laptop.

"Kirsten honey. Could you check the TV to see what the problem is please."

Her mom says entering the kitchen and grabbing the sandwich she prepared earlier.

She reluctantly obeyed. She went to the back of the TV to check the wires but there are tons of them. And then she figured she didn't really know what to do.

"Brandon what did you do? Did you hit something on the remote?"

"Nope. I was just watching and it suddenly went out."

Aargh. "You watch TV in your room see if that one works."

It turned out the one in the living room is the only one not working.

"Just call the cable company honey."

Her mom says noticing her frustration. She then grabbed her bag on the sofa and leaned to kiss her.

"I need to go. Just take care of it will you?" Her mom said.

"Of course mom. Take care."  Her mom is working as a City Engineer. That was how she met their father. Their father is a general contractor and they were put together in a project once. Their father however travels a lot and often being sent to different locations so we seldom see him.

After a few minutes of further checking and trying to fix it, she finally decided to call the cable company instead. God her technical skills suck!

After a few probing, the lady on the other line was asking her to do some powercycling and hitting buttons on the remote which she refused to do! She insisted for a technician to come out instead.

"Saturday? That's 3 days from now. So we won't have TV for 3 days?"

She said not even bothering to hide her annoyance. Yes they still have three other TVs in the house but the one in the living room is the one she loves the most since it's the biggest and the only high definition TV they have! Given that their parents earn a lot but they're just not the type of parents who would shower their home with all the luxury in the world.

The girl apologized and said that's the earliest I can get.

"Ok. Saturday it is." She doesn't wanna give the lady a hard time anymore. She was just too sweet.

"Just please make sure ma'am that someone over 18 years old will supervise the technician."

"Yeah sure." She said before hanging up the phone.

____________

"So what's the plan for tonight?" Kayla says.

It's another Saturday night. A week after her unforgettable 18th birthday. They were sitting on the floor in the living room munching some chips and with some chick flick playing on the DVD.
"What do you plan?"

"Well I've heard Marty's cousin is throwing a party. We can crash. I'm pretty sure the guys are coming too."

"Nah. You go. I'll stay home." She said bringing back her attention to the movie. Parties don't interest her at all. And that's what makes her different to any other teenagers in the land.

"Oh come on Kirsten don't you wanna do something fun before the start of the schoolweek?"

"Fun? The last time I was at a party it was no fun at all. It was a disaster."

"That wasn't a party. We were at a bar duh."

"Which is pretty much the same. Loud music. People making out everywhere. Throwing up anywhere."

"I'm starting to worry. Are you sure you don't have any plans on pursuing a "career" to be a nun someday? And besides, it wasn't even a disaster. That boy was so damn hot! If he would have been my first kiss I would have died that very instant!"

Hah! She remembers that was almost the same as what she said about Marty before. That she would die if the boy would become her boyfriend one day. So why is she still here in front of her kicking and breathing?

"Whatever." Let's just drop it. I would probably never see him again anyway." She said shrugging her shoulders.

And with that the doorbell rang. She got up and straightened her clothes. She was wearing a simple white loose t-shirt that says "I'M BORED" on the front and a black cotton shorts. 

"That's maybe the cable guy." She said running her fingers through her unruly hair.

She went to open the door and stood frozen. Her eyes went wide and mouth's dropped open. Then she recalled the last words she told to Kayla.

I would probably not see him ever again.

Is the world trying to play joke on her? Because there he stood on her doorway looking slightly shocked. Wearing a polo shirt with a logo of the cable company, is the hot french kisser guy at the bar!

She seemed to be not knowing what to do and then when he made a step forward, she slammed the door in his face!