PROLOGUE

"Keep up!" a loud, excited voice shouted. The tall blonde girl turned around, smiling widely at her friend. "You're being really slow today!" Alyssa turned back around and continued running, giggling all the way. Bradley complained loudly, out of breath.

"Come on, you know I'm not built for physical exertion!" The two came tumbling down a steep path leading into a clearing. A large hollow tree stood guard close to a trickle of water, sunlight glimmering off its surface as it moved. The two had found the little clearing back when they had first met as six-year-olds. It seemed no one else knew about their place, and if they did, neither thirteen-year-old had ever seen them. Alyssa plucked a bunch of purple wildflowers from the edge of the stream, threading their long stems through her hair. She tried sticking the remaining flowers in Bradley's hair, which stuck out at an odd angle.

"Pretty." Bradley complemented, making her chuckle as they fell out.

"Your hair's too short." She complained, messing up his brown curls.

"Hey!" he protested, throwing the petals at her face.

"Don't waste them! There's only so many." She squealed.

"It's alright. We'll see them next summer, like we always do." He reassured her.

"Still.."

"Ugh." Bradley rolled his eyes at her playfully. "Come on; dad packed us some afternoon tea and we forgot to eat it." The two climbed into a tiny wooden structure, which they had found years ago and refurbished by adding a carpet, chairs and coffee table. It reminded Bradley a little of a miniature version of his shed at home, only no tools inside. Once they made themselves comfortable, Alyssa shrugged off her coat, carefully draping it over the table. She then opened the picnic basket and took out a thermos and some sliced and buttered banana bread wrapped in foil.

"Why are you even wearing that? It was so hot today!" Bradley asked, gesturing to the coat.

"Because it's comfortable. Anyway, I needed it before." Alyssa had just come from the airport, but she loved that coat and wore it pretty much everywhere anyway. Realising it was a lost cause, he shook his head, moving on to another subject.

"Oh, right. So how was your cousin's wedding?" Bradley asked between bites of food.

"It was great! Stressful but great. Maria looked beautiful, of course and her husband Theodore looked pretty good too." Alyssa replied. "England is an amazing place; you should go if you get the chance." Bradley secretly doubted he'd ever afford to go on holiday there, or anywhere else, but said nothing. "It was really cold compared to here, though. I missed home so much."

"You were gone for a week."

"I know." She chuckled. Alyssa continued to recount the week's events, while Bradley listened closely. In just an hour of talking the sky had begun to set, the clouds turning a bright purplish pink, crickets chirping loudly. Alyssa checked her watch, frowning.

"It's six already, I have to go. I'll see you at school, alright?" With that she rushed off, Bradley packing up the basket and following close behind her.

The two had almost reached the edge of the trees when Alyssa stopped.

"You go on without me, I'll catch up. I just realised I left my coat at the cubby. Mum will get really mad if I lose it." She smiled apologetically.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?"

"Yes, I'll be fine. Nothing's going to happen. Goodbye!" She promised before sprinting off into the forest again to retrieve her coat.

"Bye." Bradley turned back to see her figure disappearing into the dark forest, smiling. Out of the corner of his eye, Bradley thought he saw sudden movement in the dark. Probably just an animal, he thought. Surely, she'd be fine. She could take care of herself after all.