New School Year Begins

Jubilee hadn't been out of the house more than twenty minutes when K found Everett in the gym. When she called out a little hello, the tall, dark, and handsome young man smiled when he saw her. "Hey Mrs. Howlett. Can you spot me?" Everett asked when he saw she was headed his way. K had quickly become one of the student's favorite teachers - and for Everett, she always pushed him when he needed it, teased him when the mood struck her, and it probably didn't hurt that like the other ladies at Xaviers, she was easy to look at. She went right over to him, put her hands on the bar with him and counted as he ran through his weight training regimen.

It was a pretty common occurrence in the gym. All of the guys would go down to work out, but K was really the only one out of the ladies that was down for weights regularly. And because of it, the guys that worked out down there all had worked with her at one point or another.

But they were teenagers, after all, and it was just a matter of time before it went from just weight training to boys being boys. So, K waited until Everett tried to show off, overloading the leg press, as he often did. And inevitably, it started to get away from him. K helped him to get it under control, urging him to tap into her abilities, since even a tiny boost of enhanced strength would get him out of the jam - even if it wasn't a large measure of extra strength.

He laughed, like he did every time he found himself in a pinch, and after a few moments, he did exactly that and got out of the leg press. He rolled off of the machine and laid flat for a moment with one arm over his face and smiling to himself. All things said and done, it was still a good workout. When he recovered and sat up K tossed him a bottle of water.

"Got a question for you Everett," K said, not even bothering to go subtle as she sat down cross-legged nearby. She saw no reason at all to try to be evasive with a teenage boy, anyhow. It's not like they were very observant most of the time. Everett, for his part simply nodded, waiting for her to ask whatever was on her mind.

"What's the story with you and M?" K asked as she pulled her hair into a ponytail.

Everett raised his eyebrows and glanced around the gym, certainly not expecting the direction this talk was taking. Especially since none of the teachers ever asked about the student's relationships unless there was something wrong. "I really like her. She doesn't feel the same about me though." he admitted.

K bit the inside of her lip and nodded seriously. "Anyone else on your radar?" she asked, watching him carefully.

He looked down to his hands, smiling. "If you're talking about Jubilee, I really don't know. I think she likes me, but she's a really good friend. I don't want to wreck anything like that."

K considered it, and gestured for him to move to the next machine. "I can understand that. But, if you are interested and you both let it go? You'll regret never having explored it. If you're really friends, it'll last even if dating doesn't."

As he started on the next machine, he looked more serious as he thought it through. "What about M?" he asked.

"Well," K said, shrugging her shoulders up. "If she's not into you, what difference does it make?"

He wrinkled his eyebrows, thinking as he started his pull ups. He had just pulled all the way up around rep ten when he paused at the top and looked her way. "How did things kick off for you and Wolverine?" Everett asked, figuring that if she'd cross the line, he was allowed too. He did not expect her to flat out stop though. She didn't quite blush, but he was sure if it had been anyone else, they would have as she tried to find a way to tell the truth and not tell him anything ... that he honestly didn't need to know. K finally shrugged, slipping her hands into the back pockets of her jeans.