On the Second Day of Christmas

The doorbell rang and I jumped, taking a deep breath and running for the door. I looked through the peephole at Tommy, who was holding bags of gifts to be wrapped. I took another deep breath, steeling my nerves. "Okay. Okay Eric, you can do this. Not like you're running on very limited time and really need to subtly make him realize he loves you as much as you love him." Putting a smile on my face, I pulled open the door. "Hey Tom!" "Hey shrimp! Got stuff to wrap gifts with?" he asked, gesturing to the bags in his hands. "You bet! Yeah, if you wanna go take that to the living room I'll try and dig out as much wrapping paper as I can from the hall closet."

Grinning, he walked into my house. "Yeah, can't say I'm surprised that you haven't already gotten all that together," he teased. I rolled my eyes, face flushing. "Whatever. I was running behind," I said defensively, and he just laughed, heading to the living room. Heart racing, I headed to the hall closet, scrounging up as much wrapping paper as I could find before joining him in the living room. He had already started to spread out the gifts that he had bought. "So you ran off at the mall to get a gift for Gene yesterday, what'd you end up getting him?" I asked.

His smile widened and he reached into one of the bags, tossing me an empty plastic bag. I looked at it in confusion and his smug smile got even bigger. "It's an official piece of merch and I'm giving it to him and I don't care how mad at me he gets." "What is it?" I asked. "They're official Kiss air guitar strings," he said, and we both burst into laughter. "Hah! Oh man he would make us sell this. Yeah, I say for sure give that to him, serves him right." "Yeah, I got him a nicer gift too, a box of gourmet chocolates, but those are already wrapped." "Oh, knowing Gene he'll love that," I mused, and Tommy nodded. "Yep, he absolutely will."

It was really nice to be able to sit and chat with Tommy as we wrapped the gifts we had gotten for friends and family. My heart was absolutely racing and I was trying to act cool while also desperate to get him to realize how much I loved him without making it obvious. Even though I was freaking out the entire time, it was still fun being able to make fun of him for being absolutely awful at wrapping gifts. "You can't seriously think that's good enough," I said, raising an eyebrow as I looked at the box.

He shrugged, setting it aside and moving on to the next one. "Yeah, it's fine!" "I can literally see what it is through the gaps in the wrapping paper," I countered, but he just shrugged again. "Eh, it's for Eric, he's not gonna care! It's not like he's any better at wrapping them!" he protested. "I don't care! I'll fix it for you," I said, grabbing the box and starting to rewrap it.

"Oh hey, you hear that Gene and Paul are gonna throw an ugly Christmas sweater party?" Tommy asked, and I looked up from retaping the wrapping paper in surprise. "Oh, no. I guess I didn't get invited," I said. He gave me a baffled look. "What?! Oh come on they wouldn't do that. You sure you didn't get an invitation in the mail?" "Ohh, the mail," I said. "Yeah, I don't really...check that too often," I said sheepishly. He rolled his eyes, rising to his feet. "Well, let's go check," he said, opening the front door and walking outside.

Face red, I trailed after him, walking through the snow as he drew to a halt in front of my mailbox, pulling it open. Sure enough, it was stuffed to the brim with letters. "Geez, Eric! You weren't kidding when you said you don't check that too often!" he cried with a laugh, grabbing several handfuls of letters and dropping them into my arms. "Sorry! It's out of the way and it's cold!" I protested, shivering as he kept unloading the mailbox. Finally, he had grabbed the last bunch of letters, walking back inside with me trailing behind him. I dumped the mail on the dining room table, rummaging through the envelopes before finding a green one with my address on it in Paul's signature loopy handwriting.

"Ah this is probably it," I said, ripping it open and scanning the invitation. "Yep, turns out I did get invited! From 7 to 11?" I asked, and he nodded, giving me a smile. "That's the one. You gonna go then?" "Hm...I want to, but I don't really have an ugly sweater to wear," I said with a faint frown. "Oh, don't worry about that! I've got an extra one you can borrow. You'll be like my plus one!" he said cheerfully, and my heart absolutely melted. "Oh, sounds great!" I said, trying not to show just how happy I was to hear that. "Great! I'll stop by at like 6 tomorrow and drop off the sweater so you can get changed before we head to the party. For now though, I gotta get these gifts home, I need to make sure I can fit all the ones for my family in my suitcase," he said rising to his feet.

"Right, yeah, let me help you take these to your car!" I said, gathering up some of the gifts he had wrapped, walking outside with him. We got everything put away in his trunk and he smiled, ruffling my hair. "Thanks shrimp! I'll see you tomorrow!" he said, getting in his car. I waved as he drove off before stepping inside, wide smile on my face. "Aw hell yeah! I'm his plus one tomorrow!" I said gleefully. "Maybe 12 days is gonna be enough time! Well, ten left now. Still though. That's gonna be more than enough time."

Two days down, ten to go.