Chapter 16

"I have to go back." Max was adamant. He still had no idea if his sister was inside there. Dead or alive. He seen the hordes that chased him out of the school and swallowed Oliver whole, but this was where his sister should have been. If Max left now, this might be his only chance to know for sure what became of his sister.

"You know good n' well I can't let you go back in there. I might as well put a bullet in your head." Britney countered. He wasn't thinking straight but she felt for him. First, he loses his sister and now someone who was quickly becoming a friend. 

Britney wasn't very sure on how Oliver and Max felt about each other, but Oliver was willing to put his life on the line to help find Max's sister, so that had to count for something. "It's just too dangerous. We need to leave...get to my boat."

Max glared at her. He wanted to grab her and shake her until she agreed to do what he wanted. He knew he couldn't do that though and that what she spoke was the truth but he didn't want to hear it. If she wasn't going to go back inside with him then so be it. But Max was going back in, one way or the other.

"Fine. Leave. But I need to find my..." A blood curdling scream came from the back of the school. Max and Britney looked at each other before taking off to offer help.

Oliver fired off a few shots, taking down four lurkers. He just didn't have enough bullets. He wanted to scream. He'd come too far. He found Skylar. He was leading a group of survivors to safety and now they were going to die being ripped apart. He threw down his gun and frantically looked around for the little boy. He was crying and one of the lurkers were about to bite into him. Oliver rushed the lurker sending it flying. He grabbed Kaleb up in an embrace, his body acting as a shield.

Bang!

Bang!

Three more of the dead went down. Oliver turned around and looked. He saw Max. He didn't have time to celebrate though but boy was he glad to see him. Britney settled beside Max and they took out five more of the dead. Oliver pushed Kaleb between the shufflers legs, and he crawled towards Max and Britney as fast as he could. Oliver pulled out his combat knife and together the three of them were able to take out the remaining lurkers.

"God am I glad to see you." Oliver offered up a genuine smile.

"Max." Skylar exclaimed running into her brother's arms. If it wasn't for the voice, Max wouldn't know what was hugging him. He hugged her tight as tears started down his cheeks- getting tomatoes sauce on his chin, arms and shirt in process. It was like waking up from a horrible nightmare. He had his sister. Skylar was back with him. Everything was right with the world once more.

He was so happy that he didn't even bother to question why everyone was covered in ketchup.

"Not to rain on your family reunion an' all but I'm sure those shots alerted all the dead within a mile radius. We need to get and now." Britney paused to look at the newcomers. "And we need to find y'all a car."