Chapter 3- Rivals x in x survival

Start from the beginning

     Once we entered the shop, my nose was metered with the smells of cooked, greased, and baked foods. It smelled like heaven, not as good as Rin's food but you know. Good food.

    "Welcome take a seat!" The cook said. "Is the back room available?" The son Kiriko asked to which the cook asked what we were having, "The steak combo, please, the one that'll make us see the light. Make it four." The son Kiriko said raising four fingers.

     "Combo for four, eh? How do you want 'em cooked?" "Grilled slowly over a low flame 'til done, please." "Got it. See yourselves to the back room." The cook says, continuing his food making with us walking the the 'back room'. 

     "Ok, wait here." The son Kiriko said, holding the door for us as we enter. "For what? Where are all the applicants?" Leorio asked confused.

     Once I stepped in the room, I felt uneasy. The fuck? Are we in an elevator? My elevator senses are tingling. Oh Dad, why? Do you just like to see me suffer?

     "I can't wait for that steak combo!" Gon yelled in excitement. Well at least one of us is happy, I thought as I made my way to the table. "Gon, that was just the password to get us inside. There's no steak combo." Kurapika explained to the said boy.

    "Okay. So we don't get to eat?" Gon asked somewhat deflated. "Ay, you gotta admit, that did sound kinda tasty." I said with Gon nodding in agreement "Only one in 10,000." the son Kiriko said gaining all our attention, continuing, "You're very lucky. That's how many ever make it this far. Nice job. You did great for first-timers. Well, good luck to you."

      Gon approached him, extending his arm for a hand shake, "Thanks for the help!" The son Kiriko took a second to shake his hand, hopefulness in his eyes, "I hope that next year I can help you again." And with that he left.

    The room started to shake, moving downwards. Fucken elevators! "It seems this room is actually an elevator." Kurapika says looking up to the blinking light of the number floors then looking at me with concerned eyes.

    "Are you alright, Michael?" He asked approaching me. "Just peachy. I just don't like elevators all that much. They make me feel weird." I said placing my forehead on the table with Nee getting off.

     "That explains it." Leorio says sitting down, so did everyone else. "That bastard thinks he'll see us again next year because he expects us to fail." "Once every three years." Kurapika stated. "What's that?"

     "It's how often a rookie passes the exam." Kurapika clarifies taking my hand in his for reassurance. "It's that unusual?" Gon asks glancing at our hands, not liking the feeling he was getting.

     "It is. Some can't handle it. It's too mentally and physically taxing. It's also not too uncommon for veterans to break the rookies so badly that they never retake the test."

      I started to zone out, squeezing Kurapika's hand in a random rhythm and playing with his fingers from time to time. Nee joined in by playing with my hair which was quite calming.

      He and Leorio were having an argument about hunters then asking Gon who he agrees with but was saved by the bell, literally. The doors opened to reveal a large room with many people looking out way. This is so not creepy.

    We walked out of the elevator, with me running to catch up with Kurapika, holding his hand and arm, and into the tense room. "Is it me, or is the mood pretty grim?" Leorio asked as we stopped.

    "We saw plenty of other applicants in the city, but these guys are different." Kurapika stated squeezing my hand, I squeezed back to comfort him, rubbing his arm up and down. "Each one of them is a master in their own right."