Chapter Ten

Have fun reading :)

- Charm

<3

"I think you have to tilt it back" Nadine said as she laid across the bed on her stomach in another pair of tiny cotton shorts and a tank-top. It was hotter than an oven in their room and sweat was glazing the skin on the small of her back, her shirt sticking to it. Daniel looked over at her with death look in his eyes, his muscles straining as he fought with the air conditioner, he was trying to get in the window, again. This whole process had been an ordeal from the moment they started it. It had been so hot in their room the night before that neither of them wanted to be touched and that didn't happen much for them. They had a box fan blowing on them, the ceiling fan circulating that stagnant air around the room, hell they even slept naked just to be cooler. When Daniel had awoken in a pool of sweat the next morning, he had declared they needed AC, Nadine had no objections. He hadn't expected how much of a process it was, they had stood in the aisle at Lowes staring at the boxes having no clue what they were looking at. Nadine kept throwing out all these numbers, speeds, brands and energy star ratings and it was making his head hurt. He had central air in his loft for a reason, Daniel wasn't really a do it yourself kinda guy. Sure he could do it himself if he needed to, he just didn't want to. When he was hot he walked over to the damn thermostat and pushed cool. Finally they got an employee to explain square footage to them and picked out a few of them for the house, a smaller one for the bedroom and two large ones for downstairs. This was one part of small town living that Daniel couldn't get used to, this and mowing the damn lawn. He would wait as long as possible to mow the grass and to be honest he would bitch the entire time about it. Daniel thought installing them would be the easy part, wrong again. The two downstairs went in relatively easy despite how god damned heavy they were but the stupid bedroom one was giving him a hard time.

"Yeah I think the puddle on the rug pretty much tells us that" he snapped at Nadine.

"Don't get mad at me" she pouted. "You're the husband, these things are your job"

"Gee thanks babe, that really makes me feel better"

"Just sayin'" she grinned.

"Please just relax right there and I will get you nice and cool in no time" he pushed his sweaty hair away from his forehead.

He really needed a haircut, it was getting out of control. He had not cut it the entire time he was here, he knew it sounded a little snobby but he didn't trust most people with his hair. Nadine looked up at him and rose up onto her knees, crawling across the bed to her side. He could hear her shuffling around in the top drawer of her bedside table.

"You want a headband?" she asked nonchalantly.

"What?" Daniel said fighting with the AC to get it tilted properly in the window without sending it crashing into the backyard below them.

"A headband, do you want a headband?"

"Why the fuck would I want a headband Nadine?" He turned to her, one hand bracing the AC unit.

"To keep your hair out of your eyes when you're working silly" she said as if that was a perfectly normal answer and it would be, if he wasn't a dude.

He turned back to the AC, grabbed the screwdriver and started to screw it into the window, he was getting a fucking haircut tomorrow. When your chick asks you, if you want a headband, its more than time.

"So...is that a no to the headband?"

"Yes Nadine" he began not even looking at her. "that is a no to the headband"

"It's not a big deal Daniel, it's just a headband. I wouldn't tell anyone or anything" she plopped back to the bed.

Sometimes this women drove him absolutely crazy and yet even when he wanted to strangle her, he never loved her any less. He looked back at her holding out the damn headband in his direction and part of him wanted to just grab it and put it on. Sure it was a small part but a part of him nonetheless. He put the screwdriver down on the table and turned the AC on, blowing cool relief into the room. He stood there drinking in the cool air for a minute before he turned back into the bed. He reached across and grabbed the headband from her, throwing it over his shoulder looking down at her with a smirk.