3 - Late Night Thoughts

***

***

While the others went up the large marble steps leading to the entrance, Nia stopped and admired the school's architecture. She would never stop getting mesmerized by the school's beauty — the tall pillars, the different towers that the castle had, the bright yellow lights coming from inside illuminating her surroundings. This castle was her home.

Draco turned his head to the side as he noticed his companion didn't respond to his question. When he didn't spot Nia, he halted in spot and turned his heels, and in the crowd of students he saw the mesmerized Hufflepuff at the foot of the stairs. His eyes scanned her features, and he could see the sparkles in her brown hues even from afar. The look she had painted on her face reminded him of how he had looked at this wizarding school for the first time. The sight of it made his inside warm and made his lip turn up slightly.

"Perez, come on," he shouted, breaking Nia out of the trance she was in. "We need to go to the Great Hall and sit at our house tables. You don't want to miss your brother's sorting."

"Coming," she shouted back, fixing herself — brushing her fingers through her hair and passing her palms over her clothes — once more, then running up the marble stairs to join Draco, resuming their walk to the Great Hall where almost everybody had taken their seat already.

"See you after the sorting ceremony and the feast," said Nia, aiming to walk away to the Hufflepuff table.

However before she could, Draco's slender fingers wrapped around her wrist. Nia spun back around as sparks went off over her skin and arched an eyebrow at the Slytherin.

"Let's meet up at our spot," he said with a smirk.

"Okay," Nia replied with a soft smile. "I'll see you there."

Draco nodded before letting her out of his grip, and the two pair walked to their respective house table, Nia to the Hufflepuff table and Draco to the Slytherin table.

Once everybody had taken their seats, the sorting ceremony commenced. The first years walked in through the huge, oak doors. Nia saw her little brother up front with Professor McGonagall — up front just like Nia had placed herself when she first got here. The professor pulled up a stool and a dusty hat, placing it at front center in the hall, and started calling the names and placing the hat on their head. After several names and cheers, Max's name was called out.

"Perez, Maxim!" Said McGonagall sternly, pushing back her glasses on the bridge of her nose.

The hat was on his head for a long while before shouting, "Hufflepuff!"

Nia jumped out of her seat in joy and clapped her hands, welcoming her brother warmly with the others. He sat next to a boy with blonde hair who had been sorted a few names before him.

After the sorting hat and the feast, Dumbledore had announced that there wouldn't be any quidditch matches, earning several "boo"s and sad "awn"s, because The Triwizard Tournament would be held this year at Hogwarts. The whole atmosphere changed — "ohhh"s and a "wicked" from the twins were chorused. Everyone was almost jumping out of their seats of excitement.