Chapter 43: He who we can't name

Start from the beginning

"Well, you all know what it's like at a party," I joked, trying counteract the possible vibe change with humour prematurely, "all the girls were going into the one bathroom in groups and there was a long ass queue. I really needed to pee and the men's was empty..."

Lucas' face displayed a knowing smile. Syd lifted her head off Lucas' shoulder and her jaw dropped in surprise. "You didn't?" She asked in disbelief.

I nodded my head whilst looking down at the counter underneath me.

"Ivy!" Syd exclaimed, making both Lucas and I chuckle.

"What?!" I said through laughs, "I needed to use the bathroom and that was empty. It was really a no-brainer." Syd looked at me as if she was disgusted, which was ironic coming from her as she was usually the one to do stuff like that.

"Don't give me that look. Everyone here knows you would have done the same."

She thought about it for a second, her face showing defeat when she realised I was right, "Whatever. On with the story."

"Okay master," I joked. "Um, so yeah. I used the bathroom and was washing my hands when someone tried opening the door. I panicked but thankfully I locked the door. Bet you'll never guess who was on the other side of the door."

I was trying let them find out softly. If I just threw them into it, their reactions were more likely to be negative.

Lucas and Sydney's faces both held bewildered expressions.

Syd somehow always managed to know what I was thinking about when I never wanted her to. But yet, in times like this when I wanted her to work it out, she never did.

"I opened the door and there stood the one and only guy I had gone there not to see."

Syd's eyes widened in understanding and a snicker came from Calla's direction. Cals was obviously trying to prove some type of point but I just ignored her. I forgot she was in here until I heard her make a noise.

"Jace?" Lucas asked, his face features serious.

I nodded my head, avoiding eye contact with him, "I was shocked. Like, I had gone all that way and for some reason he was just there. I pushed past him and went to Darius."

When I eventually glanced up, I noticed how everyone was giving me very calculating looks – like they were trying to figure out what was going on in my head. It was like they were being cautious, not knowing what my reaction was going to be.

"I had one drink once I located Dar and the drink made me feel more confident," I trailed off.

"So, you drank and then drove?" Lucas questioned, one of his eyebrows lifted. His big brother mode was activated.

"I didn't drink enough to be over the limit," I explained but got an I-don't-believe-you look shot at me. It was nice knowing he cared about me but sometimes Lucas acting like this was overwhelming.

"You really think I would have driven home drunk whilst it was raining?" I shot back, making him answer his own question. He knew me well enough to know I wouldn't do that. Everyone in the room did.

"I went to where everyone was dancing. I didn't want to be alone so I tried dragging Darius with me but he wouldn't budge," I rolled my eye humorously and heard another noise come from Calla.

She wasn't saying anything, no. What she was doing was making little, meaningful noises and was going to keep doing them until I confronted her about it. I wasn't going to confront her about it.

I continued what I was saying as if I had never heard her, "I was dancing to the song, blah, blah, blah and I bumped into someone. I turned around to apologise and that's when I saw Jace on the other side of the room. Only this time he had a girl glued to him," I let out a dry laugh at the thought.