Chapter 43: He who we can't name

Start from the beginning

I shut the doors to the living room behind me. I knew Syd would be right there as I did it, but I had to do something to stop her from talking, even if it was for a brief moment.

I walked at a faster pace straight into the kitchen. I grabbed a glass and filled it with ice cold water. I felt Lucas' eyes on me as I downed the glass of water, feeling the last of the cool liquid run down my throat, I turned to him.

"Has she finished?" Lucas asked referring to Syd's constant need to know everything and in extreme detail. I opened my mouth to answer when another voice echoed through the room and interrupted me.

"Ivy! You were just at a party. Why would you need to drink now?" Syd's constant questions poured from her mouth and I tried to block it out with white noise.

I hadn't even processed everything myself yet, let alone spill everything to her and then be asked stuff on top of that.

I barely resisted the urge to run past Syd and into my room, locking her out and running a bath so I couldn't hear her.

That actually sounded like a good idea, until I heard someone calling my name.

"What do you want now?" I unintentionally snapped. Syd was clearly taken back by my outburst; you could tell that by the look that had appeared on her face. She quickly recovered and sat back on the counter next to Lucas. She didn't ask any further questions – she knew what was going to happen next.

When I get frustrated with people grilling me with questions continuously, I end up getting sick of it and ranting about everything that had happened all in one go. I say everything and Syd knows this and that was why she had more than likely pestered me since I got back.

So, in other words, she knew me too well and knew how to play me.

"It was good," I started with a sigh, "I met Darius' friends and they were cool guys. One was extremely drunk and the other was a sweet guy. They were all drinking but I obviously couldn't because I had to drive Dar home," I ranted.

I knew they didn't need to know any of this information. However, Syd wanted to know everything, so I was going to tell her everything.

"So, everyone gets their drinks and we got into the stuffy basement. It wasn't too good down there, this guy kept staring at me but nothing too unusual when you go to a party," I informed them all, Syd and Lucas listening to me, Calla staring at her phone.

She was listening, she had been looking at the same thing on her phone the whole time. But she had been acting weird recently, ignoring me type of weird so this wasn't exactly unexpected.

"Carry on," Syd demanded as she stared at me like a kid waiting for her bedtime story. I jumped on the counter behind me, sitting opposite Sydney and Lucas and next to Calla. The way Calla shifted slightly in the opposite direction from me when I sat next to her didn't go unnoticed.

"Umm," I continued. I stopped thinking about confronting Calla about how she was acting and went back to talking about the night.

"Oh yeah," I laughed nervously, "I needed to pee so I told Dar and he came with me. We split at the bar and he got another drink."

I paused there.

I almost didn't want to tell them what had happened. Syd was going to be dramatic but then get over it and be on my side, it always happened that way. But my nervousness lied with Lucas.

Him being disappointed in me was the worst thing and I just hoped he would understand my reasons for doing it. He was like a big brother to me and his opinion meant a lot to me. Whether I denied it or not, him saying about Jace being a good guy meant a lot to me. Even from the very beginning.