"I don't get it. I don't get this!"

"They pulled me out of school too," she said quietly, pulling me back into a hug, "They did it to me too. I wanted to come sooner but it was hard, it was really hard,"

"They said they're gonna send me off,"

"Ashton is so lovely, and our house is much nicer. It's really nice in LA right now, and there are good schools near us," she said, her voice quivering, "I just- I know this all sucks, and I want to get you out. It's messy, I know, you don't know me, but please trust me,"

"Are you and Ashton gonna try and be my mum and dad?"

"No, but we are gonna look after you. We are gonna make sure you're okay,"

"Okay,"

"Okay," she breathed out, kissing my head, "I have missed you so much. Last time I saw you, I had just taught you how to spell your name- well, Izz,"

"So tomorrow I just... have to pack up and leave?"

"Yeah. I figured it would make goodbyes easier but... you don't have any to make,"

"I don't know anything about you,"

"Lets go out tonight, for a meal. We can talk, about this, and my life, and your life," she said, wiping her tears, "Sorry I'm just... I've wanted to hold you for so long,"

"How can you just come and take me?"

"It's not that simple. I've been working with lawyers, I warned mum and dad a lot, they didn't bother taking me seriously. I still don't think they took it seriously until this morning,"

"Are they gonna be locked up?"

"No, of course not, but I reckon a lot of counselling- there's a lot to unpack between them. You deserve a better life,"

I nodded and yawned, watching out the window. Like I said, my body was giving up on me. Lately I was getting tired, swollen and bloated, and my back hurt. Now I was beginning to lose weight as well.

Hopefully it would slide past.

When we got back home, mum and dad hugged me tightly, but Kaitlin took me up to my room and began to pack my clothes.

"Anything precious needs packing, but Ash and I already have a furnished room for you,"

"What colour?"

"Pink,"

"I hate pink, which you would know if you found my email or,"- "You weren't exactly looking either. It was your favourite colour, deal with it,"

"Why are you being such a bitch?"

"It must be in our dna," she said, smiling sarcastically, "Like I said, I know this is shit, but I refuse to let you stay here withering away in your room. You cannot live like this, knowing no one,"

"Withering away. You make it sound like I'm dying,"

"You look it. Have you seen the sun in the past week?"

"Yes. I walk, and run,"

"Hm,"

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"A hum of disapproval, Izz. Help me out here,"

"I'm not going,"

"You are. Mum and dad say you are. What's so good about here that you want to stay?"

"It's home,"

"And?"

"You don't get it, do you? This is the only place I feel safe. I don't know anyone, and I don't want to know anyone,"

"No teenager says that they don't want at least one friend,"

I huffed and grabbed all my underwear, shoving it in the suitcase before leaving my room and slamming the door. Downstairs, mum and dad sat with the tv on, so I switched it off and folded my arms.

"Why?"

"Hunny,"

"Why are you letting this happen?"

"It'll do you good, maybe she can make you sociable enough for real life school, and friends,"

"The reason I'm not sociable is because I have to stay here everyday listening to you shouting, everyday," I groaned, welling up, "Maybe if you let me go to school,"

"You wouldn't fit in,"

"That's what they said to me!" Kaykay said, putting her hand on my shoulder, "It's like they rehearse it. Come on, you're coming with me to my hotel,"

"I'm not going anywhere with you,"

"So are you staying with them?"

My eyes darted between the two, spilling with tears of confusion, and frustration.

"Fine,"

I went out the front door and smashed it shut, climbing into the passenger door of the car before breaking down.

How could this be happening?

What was even happening?

Kaitlin loaded the boot with all my things and then got in the car, driving away from home without a word, just letting me cry. I was in so much pain, physically and mentally.

As she parked up in the car park, she began to quietly hum, gently rubbing my back when the car was turned off. Slowly, my crying died down and I sniffed, looking up at her.

"They're gonna think I kidnapped you,"

"Wow," I laughed, "That's what you're worried about,"

"I was trying to make light of the situation,"

"Fuck you," I said, pointing at her, "Fuck you for trying to make light of a situation like this. I-I... go to your stupid hotel room. I will sleep in here,"

"Fine,"

"What?"

"If you want to sleep in a car park which will have drunk people and visitors walking through it all through the night, go ahead. I want privacy, and a warm bath, so I will be taking the hotel room,"

I grit my teeth and got out the car, taking the suitcase from the boot. She did the same and took me inside, getting our room key.

We went up to the top floor and entered a huge suite.

"You are rich," I mumbled, "What do you even do?"

"Paediatrics, head of it, may I add,"

"Oh,"

"Ashton specialises in cancer treatments, usually for kids, like me. Often we work together on cases,"

"Do you both do surgery?"

"Yep, we do, but mainly we do admin and specialist cases,"

"Oh,"

"What do you want to be?"

"I don't know,"

"I can tell you're lying,"

"A neuro surgeon, but, online school is really hard for me and I'm bad at science,"

"No way! That's such a cool job,"

"I guess,"

"Funny how we both ended up wanting to work in a hospital,"

"Mhm," I mumbled, laying down on the bed.

This was annoying.

She was as stubborn as I was.

But I tried not to think about that, and as my head hit the pillow, my eyes drooped shut.