8

Isabelle

No matter how I laid, I couldn't get comfortable. Both sides of me were sore, and though the pain meds were keeping my stomach ache at bay, it still hurt.

"Can't sleep?"

Ashton turned to face me and gave me a weak smile, holding out his hand to hold. Gratefully, I took it, my eyes instantly welling up.

"This is my fault, isn't it? I should've told mum and dad,"

"That sounds easier than it would've been," he whispered, "We can't change what has happened,"

"I should've said something,"

"You were scared. You were alone. The main thing is that you have told us your symptoms now, and need to continue,"

I nodded and wiped my eyes, feeling him stand. Then, he sat on the side of my bed and put his arm around me, kissing my head.

"I am gonna work, and work, and work until you are okay,"

"No,"

"Yes,"

"Don't make yourself sick,"

"I won't, I will share the work with Luke and Sierra,"

"I just... I wanna, I can't,"

He kissed my head again, tucking me in under the duvet. Quietly, he hummed, something Kaykay must've taught him, and sent me back off to sleep.

"Wake up darling, we got the results,"

"What?"

Kaykay raised my bed to siting and I blinked my eyes open, seeing Ashton at the end of my bed in his scrubs.

"The biopsy showed that it is cancerous. You have cancer, and it is progressing, so we need to act quickly,"

"Progressing where?"

"You don't need to worry," Kaykay said.

"Progressing where?"

"It could end up in your lungs if we don't start working soon,"

"Okay," I said, before gagging, and throwing up over the side of the bed. Ashton put a sick bowl under me and I wiped my mouth, laying back on my bed.

"You feel sick?"

"That was anxiety,"

"Okay," he said, calling someone to clean up, "Keep talking to us through everything,"

"Can't I be treated at home? I don't know this place,"

"You'll get to know it,"

"I came to go to school, to explore, to speak to people. Not be here. I may as well be home,"

"At home you would not be getting our top quality treatment," he said, smiling slightly, "And all these breakfast choices,"

"I'm not hungry,"

"Not even for some toast?"

"No,"

"Surely you want something," he said, tickling my chin, "Ay? If you could have anything, what would it be?"

I shook my head, biting my lip as more tears appeared; Kaykay ran her fingers through my hair and then held my head to her chest, pushing Ashton back. He looked hurt.

"What if I went out and picked you up some pastries? Or some mcdonalds? Or... cereal,"

"I can't,"

"Izz, please,"