V

Nick's POV

Walking back into my apartment, I couldn't help but think back to the moment I had with Jess. Was it a moment? Am I deluding myself? I find myself going to my room and shutting the door; laying down on my bed soon after. Rubbing my eyes in confusion and frustration, I hear my phone go off as a text message comes through.

From Kate:
Hey, cutie, I miss you xx

Sighing, I hesitate before responding. Do I really want to talk to her?

To Kate:
Hi, Kate

From Kate:
You okay, babes? You seem a little tense :( I can come over and help you let loose xx

I shudder at the thought of ever letting her touch me. We may still technically be together, but it's just not the same anymore. She's not the same anymore.

To Kate:
No.. thanks, but I'll pass. We really need to talk though. Can we meet up for coffee in an hour?

From Kate:
Aww okay :( and that sounds good, I'll see you soon babes xx

Plugging my charger into my phone and tossing it off to the side, I lay back as my thoughts twist and turn until I have to leave again.

****

I got to the coffee shop a few minutes early and went inside to grab myself some cold brew. The thought of how I'm going to tell Kate that, after 5 years of dating, her and I are done running through my head over and over again as I pay for my drink and sit down at a window table.

Taking a sip, I see Kate walk through the door and her eyes immediately land on me. Walking over, she leans towards me and plants a chaste kiss on my lips. Faintly smiling, I greet her. "Hey, Kate."

"Hey, babes, you okay? What's this you needed to talk about?"

Sighing, I respond. "These past 5 years were amazing but... you're just not the same person anymore."

She slightly chuckles and responds, saying, "I'm the same person I've always been, Nick. I don't know where this is coming from, but I think you're overthinking a bit."

"No, Kate, I'm not. You've become so self-absorbed that you shut down how anyone else feels. Especially if it involves you making them feel that way. I'm tired of you making me feel like what I say or how I feel is completely invalid because you're too self-involved to really think about what you did."

"And what did I do? Hmm? All I've ever done is love you unconditionally and been there for you for 5 years, Nick."

"You've made me feel like a rug you walk all over when you feel like. I'm not here to only cater to you; a relationship is a two-way street."

"You know what, Nick, let's take a breather and talk later because you're acting absolutely ridic-"

Cutting her off, I say, "No, Kate... I'm- I'm done... We're done."

Kate doesn't do anything except stare at me in bewilderment.

"I'm sorry, but I can't be with you anymore."

Scowling at me, she gets up and walks out without another word.

Jessica's POV

Getting back to the house, Maeve and I drop our bags on the floor and immediately sit down.

"I don't know why I ever let you talk me into going to the mall when it's a one way ticket to having sore legs," I said.

Chuckling, she responded. "You're complaining now, but from the looks of it earlier you were having the time of your life."