𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸

I sat, drawing hearts in the window. I never felt like this towards anyone- this excitement and this thrill. I knew I had to focus on school, but my heart wanted to call that boy immediately. Something about how he looked at me, I couldn't pinpoint it, but it was so incredibly enthralling. I felt the bus slow as it reached my stop, pushing me forward slightly in my seat. It was still raining, but I had William's umbrella in hand, and his note in the other, so I was ready to go when I heard the slow screeching of the old bus' brakes. I stood up immediately, not bothering to wipe off the hearts I'd been drawing in the window, I didn't think anyone would mind.
I walked back down the bus aisle, taking a last look at those maroon seats, thanking the bus driver before stepping down and out of the bus. I got to the curb and carefully unfolded William's umbrella, then heard the bus behind me shut its doors and begin to rumble away down the street on its usual path back to the bus barn. I took a deep breath of the humid air around me before turning to walk down the old, uneven sidewalk, kicking the weeds and grass growing between the cracks. I tried to remember what assignments I had to do that night, but my thoughts were racing, my concentration wearing thin. He was the only thing on my mind, I just had to call him. How often is it that such a polite guy gives you his number?
My house was coming up quickly, so I walked up the path to the back door. It was a small house, but it was just right for me and my mother. It was a small, rectangular house painted a warm shade of pale yellow with a brown shingled roof. There were two oak trees in the small yard leading up to the front door, the grass was always nicely cut, the bushes surrounding the house were always trimmed, and there was a vegetable garden in the back. Mother always took nice care of the home, it made her content to have a nice looking home. She had a job, too. She had gone back to school to become a court reporter. Since my father wasn't in the picture, she decided it was best to, instead of getting a new man, to bring in the money herself; I always looked up to her for that.
I opened up the back door, turning the old, brass handle, folded the umbrella, and stepped into the kitchen. It looked like my mother was still at the library studying, so I grabbed a bag of chips from the cupboard and a glass of water from the tap, and made my way to my bedroom. (You can decide how you designed your room!) I always left the door to my room open when I wasn't in it, my cat, Delores, liked it in there. She came and went as she pleased, but she was in there that day so I opened the chip bag and tossed her one. She stared at it before hitting it with her small, black paw. I laughed and decided to start on my work.
I looked in my book bag and took out my textbooks, but I couldn't get William off my mind. I took the note back out and unfolded it once again. I pondered over whether or not I should call him so soon, I didn't know if that would bother him. After some more consideration and some more procrastination, I made my decision. I was going to write about him in my journal... and maybe call him. I grabbed my journal and my favorite pen, and began to write,

3/3/1966

Today I met a lovely boy at the bus stop, his name is William. He gave me his number and told me to call him, but I'm a little nervous. Agh, what am I doing? I need to call him.

I slammed my journal shut and tossed it across the room, dramatically. I went over to the rotary telephone hanging on my wall and spun his number into the phone. I heard the dial tone go on for awhile before I heard the dreaded click of someone picking up the phone.
"Afton residence, this is Evelyn." A woman spoke on the other line, she sounded a bit older, so I assumed it was William's mother.
"Ah- hello, this is (y/n), is William available?" I spoke so awkwardly and I could barely hold the phone against my ear as it kept slipping out of my sweaty hands.
"Oh, yes! I've heard all about you, just one moment-" she covered the microphone of her phone but I could still hear her yell, "Will, that girl you like is on the phone!" she uncovered the phone, "He'll be right out, dear."
I heard muffled noises on the other line, and assumed Evelyn was handing the phone over to William. I was blushing so hard I practically looked like a cherry tomato, I'm glad he couldn't see me.
"This is William!" He said in a cheerful tone.
"Hello, you uh... wanted to talk to me?"
"Yes, yes! I'm so glad you called. I was wondering if you wanted to maybe meet me at Francine's Diner tonight for dinner? You don't have to, I just thought maybe it would be a good-"
"I'd love to!" I blurted out abruptly, "What time are you thinking, really, any time works for me. I just have to do a few assignments here and there but other than that I'm good to go."
"Does 5:30 sound good? That should give us both time to get ready and get there. Actually, I can pick you up at 5:30, what's your address?"
"Oh, 5823 Oak Circle, it's on the north side so I understand if you can't-"
"5823 Oak Circle, I'll be there. 5:30."
"5:30." I repeated.
"See you then, dear."
With that, the phone clicked, the dial tone sounded, and I sat in shock. Delores climbed up in my lap and curled up, purring softly. I stared at the clock on my wall, 4:43, he'd be here in 47 minutes, I had to get ready.