Chapter THIRTY ONE

Start from the beginning

....

You are shocked awake by the arctic temperatures from a bucket of ice water the guard douses you with..
Your nerves scream in protest at the biting, burning sensation..

Looking down you see that you have been stripped to your scant red underwear, and like Charlie, you too have been suspended from the rafters, the chains biting into your forearms and wrists where it coils tightly..
Your shoulders ache, feeling as though they might pull from their sockets at any given moment..

You blink through the hazy fog created by the pain, turning and whispering to Charlie, who's head hangs, a trail of blood and drool dribbles from his swollen, beaten lips, pooling in the dusty floor..

Shit, they've really worked him over..
It doesn't instil a whole lot of optimism in you for yourself..
"Ch-Charlie.. Charles..Wake up.."

He grunts but doesn't lift his head.. "Elly.. Is that you?.. I'm sorry.."

Your voice is horse and hollow, the dry scratching in your throat is like swallowing sandpaper.. "Charlie, we gotta get out of here.."

He shakes his head, coughing, lifting his eyes to yours.. You can see he is defeated.. He has given up, resigned to die.. "It's too late.. I never should have doubted you.. I thought you were one of them.." He groans, lifting his head a little now to look at you.. "I thought Mikki could handle getting the flashdrive to you.. I shouldn't have expected that of her.. Now I've gotten you both killed.." He sobs..

"Shhh.. Charlie, I'm the one who should be sorry.. I'm sorry I ever doubted you.. But Mikki is fine.. She's fine.. And we're going to get you home to her.." You try to bolster him, to give him some kind of hope.. But he's too far gone, and useless to you right now..

You glance around, there are several guards posted at each of the spanning windows across the front of the factory.. And two at each entry, front and back..
You have no idea how many are still outside, or hiding elsewhere..

You look up at the chains above your head that you dangle from.. They are looped twice around a steel bar that looks well and truly secure..
Shit, this is bad..
Bad, bad, bad..

A cold, cruel voice startles you from your plotting, your gaze drops to see him enter the room.. Your ex-boss slash ex-lover..
Elijah Peirce..

His impeccable dark suit fits like it was made for him.. His neatly trimmed, sandy bloody hair swept back, a smug half smile on his thin lips as he strides towards you.. "What's the plan, Devereux? I know you have one.."

You glare at him.. "You tell me, Eli.."

He chuckles, a callous, bitter sound.. "You always were a mouthy bitch.. Ha, I like that about you.. In fact, I've missed it.." He crosses the concrete floor, stripping off his jacket and handing it to one of the hooded guards who stands nearby..

He stops beside you with an evil grin, leaning down and from a bucket of water, he hoists a long, thin, electrified rod with a dripping sponge taped to the end.. You immediately recognise the backyard contraption.. He's going to start with electric shock treatments.. So, he's skipping the light stuff and getting straight to business..

Not great for you..

A dark feeling washes over you.. Not exactly fear, more like a regretful contempt.. You hate Elijah for what he has done, and what he is about to do..
And you feel sick for having fallen for this monster..
Hating yourself for having slept with him..
You glare at him, lips pressed together..

"Tell me where the ledger is, Ellerie. Ledger?.. Let's do this nice and easy.." That's the closest thing to a lead you've had in weeks.. So now you know what Elijah is looking for.. His voice is steady, and devoid of any emotion.. Any remorse.."Talk!"

He presses the rod against your ribcage and the blood in your veins begins to boil and bubble, as the voltage courses through you, an inferno rages beneath your skin and you shriek, a long blood curdling howl..
White spots burst behind your eyes and the sharpest stabbing sensation pierces your heart..
You scream..
"AHHHHHHHHHH!"

He withdraws the rod and your whole body unclenches as the electricity releases you from its hold.. The currents creating scarlet spider web scars across the pale skin of your torso.. "I don't know.. I don't have it.." You huff..

You know you're lying.. He knows you're lying..
True, while you don't know exactly where the ledger is..
You have become rather certain that you do have it.. Somewhere..
"Is that.. what you broke into my apartment.. looking for, Eli?" You pant the words, still trying to recover from the shock..

"Me? No.. That was him. Wasn't it, Charles?.. See he thought he could get it back from you and trade it for his dear wife.. Thank you, by the way for returning him to me after Angelo managed to nab him.. That would have been an inconvenience, but you.. Well, you handled that beautifully, Ellie.." Elijah smiles cruelly..

You grit your teeth and growl.. "Don't call me Ellie.."