Chapter 19 - Sophia

Start from the beginning

Before I am able to take in being at the funeral it is over and everybody begins to leave. As I walk outside the church I notice Jesse standing with a few people myself and Sophia had gone to school with. “Evelynn, Sophia.” We both turn to face the group and they gesture to come over.

“Excuse me.” Sophia says as we leave our parents to go see our old school friends.

“What are you two doing in town?” Raymond asks

"Visiting our families, we needed a break from the city." I say and look down at my hands.

"Yeah I can imagine, it must be crazy down there." Raymond says shaking his head. He's a handsome man, Raymond, I think to myself. Not like Noah, but definitely handsome. He has brunette hair that’s slightly shaggy, he's tall too, and has light green eyes. He's definitely a catch.

"How long are you both here for?" Jesse asks looking directly at me.

"We leave tomorrow evening, work isn't going to do itself." Say’s Sophia with a small laugh.

"That is a short visit. Shame you weren't here longer, I'd have loved to have had a catch up with you." Jesse says still looking at me, Sophia coughs letting him know that she is still there.

"And you too of course Sophia." He says scratching the back of his neck and giving her a crooked smile. It reminds me of Noah's I think to myself, now that I think about it he has a few similarities to Noah. He has the same blonde hair and blue eyes, though his are a slightly darker blue and don't have that shine to them like Noah's do. Jesse is leaner than Noah, more boyish looking, though still quite attractive. I tear my eyes away from Jesse and turn to Sophia.

"We should probably get going, the others will be waiting." She nods and we say our goodbyes.

"It was lovely seeing the two of you again, maybe next time it won't be in such morbid conditions." Jesse gives me a sad smile which I return as Sophia and I make our way back to our families.

We stand with our families before Jesse approaches with a frantic look on his face. “I need your help, quick, come with me.” He begins to run towards a field and I run after him.

“Jesse, what’s wrong?” I ask, still running trying to keep up.

“She’s just round here.” He says and I feel my eyes narrow. Who’s round there? Why does he need me? Suddenly it all makes sense, a woman lies on the floor in labour and I feel myself freeze. I know nothing about labour.

“Run and get Sophia.” I say as I unfreeze and pay attention to the situation.

“But.” I interrupt Jesse before he gets to finish what he is saying 

“Now, Jesse.” I say with a stern voice and he runs back towards Sophia. “Ok, stay calm, just keeping breathing, in through the nose out through the mouth.” I have no idea what I’m talking about or what it is I am meant to be doing but I try to stay calm.

“Evelynn.” Sophia calls my name and I feel a sigh of relief pass through my body as she crouches down beside me.

“Hey, I’m Sophia, what’s your name?” She asks the woman.

“Joanne.”

“Ok, Joanna, can I ask how far along you are?” Before the woman can answer her question she screams and I feel my eyes widen.

“34 weeks, I’m her husband, John.” He says as he holds his wifes hand trying to help calm her down.

“Ok, we need some towels or blankets or anything we can wrap the baby in when she’s born.” Sophia says.

“I actually have a blanket in my car, I’ll go get it.” John says as he lets go of Joanne’s hand and runs to the car and returns with a blanket.

“Here.” He says passing me the blanket as I turn around to take it I see our families standing watching, but I ignore them and take the blanket and pass it to Sophia.

"I see its head! Ok, Joanne when I say I'm going to need you to push as hard as you can for me ok?" Sophia says keeping her expression focussed. Joanne nods and grasps hold of her husband’s hand.

"Now, Joanne." Sophia says and Joanne begins to push, screaming as she does.

"Oh no." Sophia stops and looks at me.

"What oh no, don't say oh no." Joanne says looking frantically between me and Sophia.

"What is it?" I ask, crouching down to Sophia's level.

"The baby, its shoulder is stuck on her pelvis. I've never dealt with that before I need your help." She says quietly trying not to worry Joanne.

"Ok let me see." I take Sophia's place and try and manoeuvre the baby’s position but nothing seems to be working.

"Let me try." Sophia says having another look and her face falls.

"We're running out of time, and options." She says looking at me with concern in her eyes.

"An ambulance is on the way." Jesse says as he runs towards us. I hadn't even noticed he'd gone in all the chaos.

"I have an idea." I say to Sophia and again, we switch positions.

"Joanne listen to me, the baby's shoulder is stuck on your pelvis and the only way to get it out is if I break its shoulder." I try and say with a straight face but even I can't believe what I'm about to do.

"What?" Joanne says with panic in her voice.

 "The baby will be fine, I promise but I need to do this now." I say as she nods, I grab the babies shoulder firmly and quickly snap it back, allowing Joanne to give one final push and give birth to her beautiful baby girl.

"Blankets!" Sophia shouts and John hands her the blankets and I carefully place the baby in her arms.

"Why isn't she crying?" Joanne asks and we all stare at Sophia for a few moments until we hear that familiar cry and I let out a breath I didn’t even know I was holding. Just as the baby started to cry an ambulance appeared and we handed over the family over to them. I look at Sophia who smiles widely at me and mouths "We did it”.