Chapter 14 - Sophia

That overwhelming, heavy feeling in your chest that makes you feel as though your heart is suddenly going to leap through it, the constant fluttering in your stomach that gives the illusion of a thousand butterflies being trapped underneath. Short, shallow breaths that leave you gasping for air. All signs that I have well and truly fallen for the man stood in front of me. I place my hand on his cheek and gently bring his face to mine for one quick peck before walking into the living room, Charlie following closely behind me letting out a dramatically long sigh.

 "What's the matter with you?" I laugh turning back to face him slouched in one of the arm chairs.

 "I think I’m dying." He sighs, placing the back of his hand over his eyes, and peeking up at me through his fingers. I walk over to the chair and sit on its arm.

 "And what are you dying from exactly, it looks quite serious, you may need medical attention.” I say with a smile whilst imitating the action of taking his pulse.

 "Starvation!" He drops his hand and looks up at me with a cheeky grin plastered on his face.

 "Oh no, I don't think so. You know where the kitchen is." I cross my arms and watch him sulk his way to the kitchen. I laugh to myself at his childish outburst and slide into the now vacant chair.

 “Do you want anything?” He shouts from the kitchen.

 “Only if you’re offering to make it.” I say and I hear him laugh.

 I’m sat alone in the living room for a few minutes, all I can think about is what Frederick told me but before I am able to think about it anymore Charlie walks into the living room with plates in his hand and I look up at him as he passes me down a plate with a sandwich on it. “A sandwich, how creative.” I laugh.

 “Wait.” He says as he runs from the living room and returns with a bottle of wine and two glasses. “We have wine!” He says as his cheeky grin returns and I laugh.

“That’s more like it.” I say and I feel myself smile back at him.

 After a few hours, and two bottles of wine later, I’m sat opposite Charlie in front of the fire laughing hysterically; though by this point I've forgotten what we were even laughing at. I'm just enjoying watching Charlie laugh, the way his eyes crinkle at the corners and how when he smiles the slight dimples in his cheeks intensify his boyish looks. My jaw aches but I continue to laugh for a while longer. We eventually calm down, and I stand up to take the glasses and empty bottles to the kitchen, I leave Charlie in the living room alone and place the empty wine bottles on the side and run the tap to rinse the two glasses we have used, I hear the sound of footsteps creeping towards me, but before I am able to turn around I feel Charlie’s arms snake around my body and his chin on my shoulder. “You forgot the plates.” He says as he places them in the sink. He places his hands on my waist and turns me around. “What are you doing to me?” He asks softly, his eyes connected to mine.

 “I could ask you the same.” I say, no longer able to make my voice louder than a whisper, as he places his hands on my face. He rests his forehead against my own and lets out a sigh before slowly bringing his lips to mine. This is different to the other ones, it’s gentle, slow, I can feel every single emotion Charlie is feeling being poured into it. I let out a small gasp, allowing Charlie to deepen the kiss further that is now becoming more urgent as I am suddenly being lifted into his arms and walked back into the living room.

 “Wait!” I say, my lips just centimetres from his.

 “What’s wrong?” He asks, eyes still closed.

 “The tap is still running.” He opens his eyes and lets out a small laugh as he carries me back to the sink and leans forward allowing me to shut it off I reach back up to his face and reconnect out lips, the urgency being reignited instantly. The next thing I know I’m being gently placed on the rug in front of the fire, Charlie resting on his elbows on top of me, our lips not disconnecting once during the process. The hand Charlie had on my waist slowly starts to move down my leg, his fingertips sending shivers through my body. When his hand reaches the hem of my dress I falter slightly and grab his hand.

 “Wait.” I say for the second time tonight. Charlie stops his hand moving from my leg and caressing my face.

 “We turned the tap off.” I let out a small laugh and look away.

 “Sophia, are you okay?” The concern in his voice evident as he pulls my face towards his so we are again making eye contact.

 “I just need to wait, I’m sorry.” I say as I close my eyes, not wanting to see the disappointment in his face.

 “Soph, look at me.” He waits for me to open my eyes before he continues. “I would wait an eternity for you.” My heart aches in my chest at his words and I pull his face back to mine and kiss him feverishly.

 I wake feeling too hot, my arm stretched trying to find a cool spot. When I open my eyes I see the source of the heat, Charlie's arm is wrapped around my waist, his head on my chest. I don't remember falling asleep with Charlie, but I don't remember him leaving either. I can't believe he stayed. Why would he stay? I said no, I saw how much he wanted it and I pushed him away, yet, here he is. Our bodies a tangled mess on the floor. My thoughts are cut short as Charlie stirs, groaning slightly and opening his eyes.

 "Hey." He says, his voice husky in his sleepy state

 “Hey.” I say as I smile. Before we even attempt to continue the conversation, I hear the front door open and in walk’s Evelynn with Noah.

 “Whoa.” Noah quickly turns around and faces the wall. “Are you two decent?”

 “We never did anything, Noah.” I say as I go to stand up.

 “Hey, Soph look who’s here.” Evelynn says as she walks into the living room with my brother.

 “Oh, man. Did I just see them, yanno?” Harry says as he goes red in the face.

 “No, we never did anything.” Charlie says as he stands up.

 “Well that doesn’t explain your missing shirt, mate.” He says with a stern voice.

 “Actually it does.” I stand up wearing his shirt, not that I remember when I changed into it but I do remember being too hot in my pinafore.

 “No, actually it doesn’t, it actually makes it look worse.” Harry says as his face reddens and I see Evelynn’s jaw drop. I walk out of the living room and go to head upstairs but before I can make it any further Harry grabs onto my arm.

 “Where are you going, Sophia?”

 “Somewhere I won’t be accused of something I didn’t do.” I say as I pull my arm from Harry’s grasp and walk up the stairs and into the bathroom. I feel awful for leaving Charlie down there to face them alone but I don’t think I could have watched my brother look at me with narrowed eyes any longer

When I finally make my way back downstairs, in my own clothes, everyone has moved into the kitchen and is currently making breakfast.

"There she is!" Evelynn says coming over to, taking my arm in hers.

"I want all the details later!" She says loud enough that i only i can hear.

"Nothing happened!" I say slightly louder than I was meant to and all eyes are suddenly on me.

"Okay, okay we get it, no need to throw a fit!" Noah laughs, picking up his toast and joining Evelynn who is now sat at the table quietly trying to hide her own snickers.

"Alright guys, leave her alone." Charlie says wrapping his arms around my waist, he too trying to hide a laugh. I roll my eyes at them and get myself a glass of water.

I drink my water and walk towards the front door picking up my coat.

“Sophia, where are you going?” Charlie asks as I open the front door.

“I’m going to see Frederick.”

“Whilst you have people round?”

“Evelynn lives here too.” I walk out of the door and close it behind me.