Chapter 23 - Evelynn

It has been eight months since Noah and Charlie went missing in action, I have been told that it is ok to move on, but every time I try I feel guilt. I don’t think I’m completely in love with Jesse it’s nothing like I felt with Noah, how can I move on when I’m not even sure that I love him. I can't let Jesse in completely until I have completely let go of Noah, but I won't allow myself, can't allow myself, to let go. I'm trapped in a never ending cycle and it's killing me inside, and what's even worse is that when I look at Sophia she looks completely fine and unaffected by all of this. She may only be putting on a tough face to get by but it is as though I can't even do that anymore. I thought time was meant to heal, not make the wound deeper.

*****

Sophia

I thought Jesse staying in London would be good for Evelynn and it was, for a while, but I think him being here is beginning to confuse her. Jesse makes her happy, that much is obvious, but I don’t think she’s going to let herself fall for anyone the way she fell for Noah, she’s as stubborn as me and we won’t allow ourselves to get hurt again, and I think falling completely in love with another guy is going to do exactly that.

I walk downstairs and into the kitchen where Jesse and Evelynn sit laughing and I walk towards the sink to get a glass of water. “Anderson.” I turn the tap off and turn around.

“Jefferson.” I say and take a sip of my water.

“Do you want to go to the beach?” Jesse asks and I narrow my eyes.

“Is that supposed to be funny, do you not remember what happened last time you attempted to take us to the beach?” I say and Evelynn laughs.

“He knows where he’s going this time.” She says as she nudges Jesse. “Don’t you.”

“I do, promise.”

“You promised me I’d like what you had planned last time.”

“Well, did you?” Jesse asks.

“No, I can’t say I did.” My words trail off as the phone rings. “Excuse me.” I say as I place my glass down on the table and leave the kitchen to answer the phone.

“Hello.” I say, waiting for the voice on the other end of the phone to begin talking.

“Sophia, could you come in to the hospital please? There’s been an accident at the school and I need as many pairs of hands as I can get.” Thomas says with a panicked tone to his voice.

“I’ll get there as soon as I can.”

“Thank you.”

I put the phone down and run upstairs.

“Who was it?” Evelynn shouts up the stairs.

“Thomas, there has been an accident at a school and he needs me to go in and help out.” I shout as I quickly change into my pinafore and run back down the stairs.

“Jesse, can you take me to the hospital please?”

“Yeah of course.”

It isn’t long before we arrive at the hospital people are carrying children inside and someone passes Jesse a young girl and another three men stand holding two boys and another girl. “Follow me.” I say as I point them into a ward.

“Put them in these four beds.”

“Is there anything I can do?” Jesse asks.

“You and Evelynn see to those two and I’ll take care of these two. Evelynn will tell you what you need to do.”