Chapter 19 - Sophia

Chapter 19 – Sophia

I wake, knowing that today I will be attending a funeral. I haven’t ever attended one before but I know that my father needs my support. I sit up in bed and look over to Evelynn still sleeping, and I climb out of bed trying to walk as quietly as possible out of the bedroom so I don’t wake her. “Soph.” I hear a tired voice call my name and I turn around to Evelynn now sat up in bed. “Where are you going?”

“To go get washed and ready for today.”

“Oh, the funeral.” I nod and continue to walk out of the room. “Soph, wait.” I stop and head back towards the room.

“I don’t have anything black to wear.” She says and I point to the wardrobe door where two black dresses hang.

“I guess somebody already thought of that.” I turn back around and walk into the bathroom and I hear a knock on the door and laugh, I open the door and Evelynn’s arm appears through the gap with one of the black dresses in her hand. “Thank you.” I take the dress from her and close the bathroom door.

I’m not in the bathroom for too long before I return to the bedroom and Evelynn goes to get dressed. I can smell breakfast being made downstairs, it makes me feel hungry. I sit in front of the dresser fixing my hair and make-up; I tie my hair into a loose knot and leave a few curls out. I just finish my make-up as Evelynn walks back into the room after getting dressed and I move from the dresser so she can use it. “Breakfast smells good.” She says and I laugh.

“I was just thinking the same thing.” I sit on the end of my bed waiting for Evelynn to finish doing her hair before we go down to have breakfast.

“Ok, I’m done.” She stands up and we walk towards the door as Katherine and Harry walk out of the room next to us, we all wear black, it feels strange, normally we’re all wearing a different colour of some kind.

“Morning.” I say as we all walk down the stairs.

We all head straight into the dining room, the table has already been set and the food has been plated. Everyone eats in silence, either because they are hungry or fully aware they are about to attend a funeral. I know which category I fall in and it's definitely the latter. Though I can't take the silence any longer so I decided to voice the question everyone was thinking.

"How did he die?" I ask looking at my father.

"What was that sweetie?" He stops eating along with the rest of the table and stares at me waiting for my question again.

"Jesse's Father, how did he die?" He looks down at his plate and sighs, maybe I shouldn’t have asked, he was one his good friends after all.

"There was an accident. He had been driving home from work and it was dark. A group of children ran out into the road without looking and he swerved to miss them but hadn’t notice the car coming in the opposite direction. He died instantly.” My father finished speaking and I had suddenly lost my appetite and looking around the table, so had everyone else.

"That's awful." Katherine says quietly and I give her a sad smile.

"Well, we best be going, don't want to be late." And with that my father leaves the table and exits the kitchen, leaving the rest of us to slowly follow.

*****

Evelynn

I follow everyone out of the kitchen and we head to the church where the funeral is being held. It isn’t long before we arrive at the church, standing just outside the doors is Jesse, I watch as my parents go to give their condolences and I do the same. I walk into the church and sit down beside my father and Sophia sits beside me.