XXIV

0652 hours.

Time flew by unnoticed ever since Vendetta's leave from the camp. Hardly moments after Aiden's initial SOS transmission to the US Military, fighter jets had scouted over the camp to ensure their safety and the need to gun down any of the invader troops. But since Vendetta had played a smart move and instead made their departure after the call, there was no need for anymore bloodshed. The military then began to mobilize troops from the base to the camp from their location which was quite the long ways away. Another reason for Cody's sacrifice to be so meaningful.

As time flew by, the cadets that required no part in needing to tend to the communications channel fell fast asleep within the relieving quietude that their survival had given them. It was different from simply being excused by Sergeant Cassidy when they were still under occupation. Those who did stay awake were the leading persons of the squadron with Aiden tending to the radio. On occassion between the minutes, he'd receive questions about their current situation in case Vendetta had left behind a trap or worst case scenario, had stayed.

Contrasting these questions were the ones about what had happened and any information that could lead to anything bigger. Having remembered some things that Vidar had mentioned to them, he spoke on about how this wasn't the only attack on a Never encampment; Also leading them to realize that they'd been hiding that from the world as well. Children have already died as compared to them simply being trained out of their own free will.

It was thoughts like these that kept the four of them awake. Katherine continued to mourn the lost of Cody, saying to herself constantly that he didn't need to die if she had came with him. Her guilty eyes would meet with Miles' across the room at random intervals. Speaking of nothing when they did, the pair already spoke enough by simply exchanging expressions and emotions. They both felt similarly, though one had been easy to think that Cody had done his job and protected them, while the other made scenarios in her head on potential ways he could've lived.

Prior to 0700 hours, the sun had begun to rise from the east of the camp. The four that slept soundly weren't going to be able to catch such a spectacular view from the heightened tower just a few dozen meters higher than the amphitheater was. At daybreak, Cassidy rose from his seated position with Miles to his side at the stairs and Katherine across them close to Aiden. Looking to the magnificent beauty of the natural world, there were many thoughts that seemingly began to cross his mind.

Cassidy.. Blake, thought about the things he learned before he was implemented and assigned to Never Camp: Michigan. He was one of the humans that contributed to Enhanced slavery and he acknowledged that. But he still reminisced. He was supposed to teach all of them to let go of their emotional boundaries and break free of all feelings. It was what E.P.S.U. or the Enhanced Protection and Sustainment Unit always had in mind. Not just for the military branch but for other branches in society. Politics, the economy, medical, industrial and agricultural. All of these required almost no emotion to carry out efficiently.

Epsu segregated the Enhanced to be trained over multiple years to detach themselves of their emotion to be able to work way more efficiently than current humans could do so. Less would be unmotivated by exhaustion since the only motivation they had is to finish the task at hand. But the there's Never and his squadron. Their rules were the same standard, no different from any other branch. The Sixth bended these rules and included emotion into their tasks. Not seeing it yet? Here.. Ironically, the only squadron that was able to come out alive was the one that bended these rules.

Cassidy thought hard and then finally realized the true strength of the Enhanced genome. The Ninth grew desperate of their mission to retake the tower and send the SOS as far as to completely ignore the armory that was right beside them for precaution and safety. Nothing but the mission mattered and that's what got them killed.. All because they did what Never trained them to do. But the Sixth? They were able to do what a six year trained squadron was able to do with two months of training just by simply including the emotional initiation they gained by adapting from Miles.