Part Three

A.N. Here's a lengthy update (hopefully) to make up for my long absence. Enjoy!

Jamie stared out the window of the diner, Monica's words ringing in his head.

So help me God, James Christian Watson! You've been away a goddamn long time! If you are not home by Thanksgiving...Well, let's just say you won't have a place HERE anymore! And don't even think about seeing the kids!

"Something the matter?" Jamie looked up. Drake was looking at him, his eyes boring into his.

"Why would you ask?"

You've been staring out the window for the past 15 minutes. We are in a diner in the middle of nowhere. There is absolutely nothing interesting out there. Now, spill. What's on yuur mind?"

Jamie sighed. "Well, it's really nothing..."

"If it was nothing, you wouldn't be looking into that cornfield. Now, let me guess. Is it...Monica?"

Jamie started. "How did you..."

Drake chuckled. "I've been around enough married men to know the sign of a set down. Did she yell at you because you weren't home yet?"

Jamie looked at him, unnerved. "Are you psychic?"

He laughed again. "No, I'm just a psychology major. Plus, I had to put up with my brother when he went through his divorce. I know brow beating when I see it."

"It's just--"

"She threaten you with moving out? Keeping you from the kids? Excommunication?"

Jamie started laughing. "No excommunication. Do they even do that any more?" He took a sip of water. "No, she just said that I can't stay at her house anymore."

"Her house? That's a bit presumptuous! I mean, didn't you buy it together?"

Jamie gave him a strange look. "Um, no. After her divorce, Mon needed a place of her own. I helped her out of course--it was a bit of a fixer-upper--but I never gave her the money to buy it. She would've castrated me if I had even suggested it!"

Drake smiled. "Well, if she does kick you out, you'll always have a place with me."

Drake clambered out of the car. His legs were stiff from 3 straight hours of driving. On the other side, Jamie stretched then climbed out too.

"Where are we now?"

"Somewhere in Nebraska, I think."

"Well, it's not like you could really tell in any case."

"I'm going to grab some coffee, want anything?"

"Naw, I'll probably just take a nap and it'll keep me up."

"But I need you to be my guide!" He winked at Jamie, who blushed a light pink. 

"Go get your coffee. You can wake me up when we get somewhere interesting," He gave Drake a shove toward the store. Drake walked to the convenience store, laughing, hoping that they'd have passable coffee. Looking around at the small store, however, he knew he was bound to be disappointed. Filling a cup with brown-grey liquid, he took a sip and grimaced. Bleugh. He gave it up as a lost cause and pitched the cup. He walked down the aisle, grabbed some snacks, and two energy drinks as he got in line. Maybe this way he'd be able to stay awake long enough for it to be dark. 

Looking out the window, he watched Jamie as he stretched in the weak autumn sun. His arms were raised over his head, drawing attention to his stomach and his blue and grey plaid boxers. When he stretched down to touch his toes, his ass was thrown into the air. Drake was jerked away from that fascinating sight to the click of a gun. Wrenching his head up, he stared in horror at the man in front of him.