Prologue

Potter Manor [July 31, 1981]

The bead of sweat felt cool against her flushed skin. Lily Potter stared up at the ancient ceiling of Potter Manor, eyes filled with angry tears. She squeezed her husband's hand tighter and tighter, ignoring his distressed squeak. There was blood everywhere, staining the silky white sheets and covers of the bed.

"That's it, Lady Potter. Just one more push, and you're done." The midwife coaxed from her position at the foot of the bed.

With a final, ear-shattering screech, Lily Potter gave birth to her first son. The piercing cries filled the room, and Lily's murderous thoughts vanished at the sound. It was almost musical. She gasped softly, her chest still heaving with pain. Her eyes were closed, but her arms automatically reached for the newborn.

Suddenly, there was a sharp pain in her abdomen, and her mouth dropped open to let out another bloodcurdling scream.

James Potter whimpered.

The midwife quickly handed the babe to another, and turned back to Lily Potter with a surprised expression. Her eyebrows creased, and her features contorted into one of curiosity. She knelt down, and instantly confirmed her suspicions.

She concealed her shock, and in the most soothing voice she could muster she said, "Congratulations Lady Potter, you've been blessed with another son. You're having twins!"

Blessed?

Lily's hair was matted onto her forehead with a thin layer of sweat and her cheeks were covered with a sheer film of tears. Lily Potter clenched the bloodied sheets in her fist, her rage instantaneously multiplying tenfold at the thought of having to relive the torture.

If she survived this, the midwife would be the first to die by her hands.

James Potter sat at his wife's bedside, carefully holding a baby boy in his arms. He gazed down at the newborn almost reverently. He watched in wonder as his son curled his small hand around his large finger. His eyes filled with raw adoration for the boy, and he announced in a smooth, awed whisper, "I think I'll name you Alexander Albus Potter."

The boy in his arms started to cry, the sound of wailing getting louder by the second.

"I don't think he appreciates such a horrid name, James." Lily Potter commented wryly, rocking the other baby boy tiredly. The child stayed silent, staring into his mother's eyes with the same, piercing green eyes.

James Potter frowned. "Didn't we agree that you would get to name one, and I would name the other? Besides, I think it's an impressive name. Who better to name him after, than the most important and powerful man this world has seen?" He adjusted the baby boy–Alexander–in his arms, but such a small movement only seemed to make the cries louder.

"What about You-Know-Who? He's pretty powerful." She pointed out, watching the baby she was holding squirm in her arms.

James snapped his gaze away from Alexander and gave his wife a look of utter disgust. "How can you even say such a thing? Lord–I mean, You-Know-Who– is no match for the power that radiates from our dear Headmaster. And I'd rather not name my child 'Voldemort'."

"Former Headmaster." Lily corrected half-heartedly. She ran her hands through the soft wisps of black hair on her son's head. "I think I'll name this one Harry."

The crying intensified.

"Oh just give Alexander to me." Lily snapped finally, "You hold Harry."

He smiled gratefully at his wife, and passed over the crying newborn without another thought. He plucked the silent Harry out of her arms and curiously looked down at him. His eyes are the exact shade of Avada Kedavra, James mused.