Friends Close, Enemies Closer

Disclaimer: I don't own HP. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

Undisclosed Location [Christmas Day]

Hadrian whipped out his wand, but before he could do anything, he felt the tug of apparition against above his navel. The room spun below his feet and soon his surroundings were replaced by ominous looking forests. As soon as his feet touched solid ground, Hadrian stabbed his wand in the direction of his kidnapper.

"Who are you?" Hadrian hissed. He was gripping his wand so hard that his knuckles turned white. "I swear I'll attack if you don't tell me."

The man let out a rough sound akin to a chuckle, and Hadrian shrugged, Have it your way.

The incantation was ready to roll off his tongue when the man held up his hands in a mock surrender. Hesitantly, Hadrian closed his mouth, but didn't lower his wand.

The man pulled off his mask, and Hadrian seethed inside. His expression went from threatening to angry in a split second. "Barty?" He spit out incredulously, "Barty Crouch?"

The man broke out into a smile, seemingly pleased. "And here I thought you had forgotten me."

Hadrian clenched his teeth together and rubbed his temples trying to get rid of the angry throbbing vein in his forehead. "Are you completely mental? What are you doing here?" He narrowed his eyes accusingly, "Aren't you supposed to be in Azkaban?"

Barty grinned, the moonlight bouncing off his sharp teeth. "Is that how you greet an old friend?"

Hadrian rolled his eyes, "Forgive me." He paused and smiled a sweet little false smile. "Hello Barty, how are you this fine evening?"

"Was that so hard? And to answer your question, I'm doing just fine."

"Barty what am I doing here?" Hadrian snapped, tapping his foot impatiently, "I have a Christmas Ball to get back to."

Barty smirked, "Oh yes, the famous Malfoy Christmas Ball. But I predict the ball isn't the only thing you want to get back to. Say, that was a mighty fine girl you had hanging off your arm a while ago."

Hadrian flushed slightly and dug his foot into the ground, "Barty!" He huffed with exasperation, "Get to the point!"

"Sorry, Sorry." He apologized, although his amusement-filled eyes made it clear he felt no remorse. He cleared his throat, "I came and plucked you away from the crowd on behalf of your father."

"Why like that?"

Barty scoffed, "Well obviously the Dark Lord cannot just stroll into a packed Ballroom and say he requires the presence of his hei-"

"Not that Barty!" Hadrian groaned, "I meant why did you have to literally kidnap me?"

"Oh that." He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, "You know I have a flair for the dramatics."

"A warning next time would be better, don't you think? I thought it was some Order member!"

The young death eater laughter wickedly, "Come on kid, the element of surprise is number one attack strategy. Besides, it's your father's orders."

"Why are we here?"

"Too many questions. Just follow me." Barty smirked, "Don't you trust me?"

"Not at all." Hadrian replied, his green eyes almost glowing in the night.

Barty shrugged, "Fair enough. But your father will get angry if you keep him waiting." He paused, "And I know you don't want that." Barty grinned at the way Hadrian flinched dramatically.