Chapter 37 - The Colony

Lillian

We learned that the Altean's name was Romelle, and she began to tell us her story. She told us where she was from, how Lotor was considered a saviour, and how she had always doubted his allegiance. Romelle informed us that Lotor had created a colony for all the remaining Alteans who weren't on Altea when Zarkon destroyed it. But soon after earning the trust of the remaining Alteans, he made a new colony where he began to ship more Alteans to it, forbidding any communications between the two colonies. Romelle had lost both her parents, her brother, and friends to Lotor's cause, and she still had no idea what he was doing that had ended up killing her brother.

She told us that her brother had somehow commandeered a pod from the other colony and flew to her, telling his sister that her suspicions of Lotor's feigned allegiance was correct. Lotor had been doing something completely unethical, but they didn't know what.

We told her of our mission to find the pure strain of quintessence, and immediately we knew there had to be a connection.

Romelle sneaked us into her home, and explained more about the communicator her brother had given her and said that we needed to find the other colony.

"Given your brother's weakened state, he couldn't have piloted his ship for very long," Keth said. "The other colony has to be somewhere nearby."

"There is a moon orbiting this planet that could house a colony," I said.

"Well, it's our only lead," Keith said, and I was proud of the slight amount of leadership he was taking here. He did have a heart for other people.

"But how will we get there?" I asked.

"I have an idea," Romelle said.

She led us to a garage type structure near her home.

"These transports haven't been used in generations," Romelle explained. "None of the Alteans in the colony would know how to fly one, even if we desired to."

Keith smirked a little. "I think I got us covered there."

And we immediately left, heading for the moon.

As we neared the moon, Krolia alerted us that there was indeed something on the surface. And as I looked, it scared me just a little. I felt a sense of doom and knew immediately that it wasn't a colony.

Keith took us all the way down, and we landed on the surface. We carefully approached the building, watching for sentires or signs of something odd going on. When it didn't look like anyone was present, Keith ran in first, and I followed right on his heels.

He and I had become an inseparable team.

Krolia and Romelle followed us as we cut through the door and entered a long room full of something I couldn't yet figure out.

As we walked deeper into the cavern, we made out bodies in glass cases connected to something.

Romelle gasped as she recognised people, and I subconsciously reached for Keith's hand, not knowing why.

"These people were supposed to be headed to the colony!" Romelle exclaimed.

"Lotor is harvesting their quintessence," Keith said darkly.

And it was not surprising at all that he would do something so evil.

"We have to alert Voltron," I said.

We ventured back to the surface of the planet and re-entered our pod. Krolia assisted Keith through the abyss and I tried to contact the Blades. Everyone needed to know that Lotor was definitely a fugitive on the throne. He had to be stopped.