Chapter 5 - Staying Alive

Lillian

Kiana and I trained for hours. We didn't realise exactly how much time had passed until the castle jerked and we heard an explosion. Immediately, I went into my soldier mindset. I ended the training sequence and ran to the bridge. Kiana was at my heels the whole time.

"What are we looking at, Princess?" I asked as soon as we arrived in the room.

"Robeast. Contact the Paladins and tell them to get here," she grunted and focused on something that was flying in the sky.

I went to a panel and hacked it, opening up a frequency to contact the Yellow Lion.

"Hunk and Keith here. What's going on, Princess?" Kieth said absentmindedly. Then he looked at the screen and blushed. "Oh, Captain. I..umm..wha— What can I do for you?"

"The Princess needs you back at the castle. Robeast on a Balmera," I said.

"We're on our way." Keith was all business as he ended the call. Maybe I underestimated him.

Kiana had contacted the other part of the team, telling them the same thing.

"Ready when you are, Allura," Shiro said, signalling for a "wormhole."

Allura focused for a moment, and opened up two portals. The Yellow Lion flew through one, and the Blue Lion came through the other. Both lions began to fight the beast.

Kiana and I sat in the bridge, watching the fight on a few screens we had pulled up, and taking notes on how well Team Voltron worked together. We wanted to get an idea of their obedience to Shiro, their teamwork, and their strategy.

We'll see if they're any good at neutralising this threat.

"Whoa! How is that thing operational? It doesn't have a head!" Lance shouted.

I did a double take at the creature. He was right, it didn't have a head, and I hadn't noticed that. How could I not have? But suddenly, I was wondering the same thing. How was it operational?

"I don't know, but I'm sure it has something to do with those crystals," Pidge said.

I continued to look at the screen where I had a good visual of the robeast. This creature didn't have a head, but it was using two crystals as shields while it fired giant beams of...something from the crystal in it's chest.

"We can't worry about that now. We have to protect the castle," Shiro said.

Yes, protection might be necessary.

The beast was hell-bent on destroying the castle, where Kiana and I were currently residing, and I was not okay with that. I had a unit waiting for me back at the Blade base.

"How did we beat it last time?" Keith grunted.

"We formed Voltron, then I stuck in my bayard and shot it with my blaster right in its arm lasers. But that didn't work so then we had to punch it," Hunk explained.

Seemed like an excessive explanation, but I was fascinated by how well they had been working as a team under pressure. This far, at least.

"So we're going to need Voltron," Shiro noted.

"Obviously," I mumbled, beginning a tally of how often they stated the obvious.

Kiana punched me.

"But we only have two lions," Pidge added.

"Obvious again," I grumbled, adding a tally to my count.