It's A Compromise

Start from the beginning

"What was that, back there?" she had some sort of an amused expression on her face as I continued my gay panic, the two words Lena had spoken playing on a loop in my mind.

I barely managed to answer, "I'm having a gay panic."

Alex burst out laughing, doubling over and clutching her abdomen before asking, "What'd Luthor say?" My head shot down to face the ground, my cheeks burning red with a blush.

"You don't want to know."

"Thank you for not telling me, then... oh my god I know what she said, bye, I'm going to kill her," Alex rushed from the kitchen, speaking the last sentence in one rushed breath. My eyes widened before I rushed out of the kitchen to stop her.

After a while of convincing my sister that she didn't need to, she sighed and sat back down. Maggie had a knowing look on her face. Maggie always knew...

Lena draped her arm over my shoulder, and Eliza snapped a photo of us. I groaned, "Why again?!" Alex snorted, and Lena rolled her eyes.

"Hush, you," Lena sighed before pressing a kiss to my forehead. I smiled. Snap. Another photo.

"For the love of Rao, why again?" I whined. 

Eliza put the camera away, saying, "I'm a mother. I do motherly things." We all hummed in agreement before I turned my attention to Lena.

"Hey, Lee?" she looked at me expectantly. I continued, "Why'd Eliza call you Lutessa?" Maggie started howling in laughter, Alex and I giving Eliza, Lena, and Maggie puzzled looks.

Lena sighed before answering, "Lutessa was my first name. I had it legally changed." We all nodded. (A/N this is from the comics!)

.

.

.

"Love?" Lena called for my attention. I looked towards her, smiling as I pressed a kiss to her cheek. She laughed.

After a moment, she continued, "You know how you said that one day you'd teach me to speak Kryptonian?" I nodded. "Can you?"

I smiled, "Only if you teach me to speak in Irish?" She nodded eagerly.

"It's a compromise."

.

.

.

"No, babe-" I groaned, "There's a difference. Dhoia is meant for inanimate objects. Not people. You're on the right track. It's zrhueiao. Lena, you're zrhueiao." (Dhoia: Inanimate object considered beautiful. Zrhueiao: Person described as beautiful.)

She nodded smiling, "I think I've got it. Thank you, gra. You're zrhueiao." I smiled. Lena was learning my native language! This is... wow.

"What does gra mean?" I asked her, my head tilted to the side with confusion. She chuckled, sitting up and pulling her notebook on her lap.

"It means 'love'," she explained. I nodded.

After a moment of silence, she asked, "Gra? What're the differences between rraop, rrip, and rrup?" I thought for a moment.

"Well... they all have the meaning, 'You'. But, it's also based on gender pronouns... Rraop is gender-neutral. Rrip is feminine, for women. And rrup is for the masculine, which would mostly be men," I explained. She smiled, jotting down notes in her notebook. I adjusted my glasses, smiling at her.

She began to teach me more words and phrases in Irish, and I would write down notes. I was determined on learning her native language.

"Aos?" she called for my attention in Kryptonian. I smiled; she even learned how to say 'Baby' in Kryptonian! 

Gazing at her in adoration, I responded, "Sea, gra?" She smiled again as I responded to her in Irish. 

"Khuhp zhao rrip," she bit her lip, still smiling as I tackled her with a hug, holding her close to me. (She said: I love you).

"Ta me i ngra leat freisin," I responded into her shoulder. She hugged me tighter.

.

.

.

My face burned red as she spoke the wrong word. 'Fahghozh'. My jaw dropped as I stared at her in shock.

"Gra, is everything alright?" she asked me, her eyebrows furrowed. I looked down to the ground, my face burning with embarrassment.

"Baby... you uh- you said something... inappropriate..." I muttered. Lena burst out laughing, throwing her head back. 

Once she pulled herself back together, she asked me, "What'd I say?" I nervously scratched the back of my neck.

I moved to whisper in her ear, "You said lingerie," 

"Oh dear god," Lena hid her face in her hands, laughing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SORRY FOR THE SHORT CHAPTER!