(37) Beginning to fade

I gasp, my eyes shocking open and a warm sensation tingling over my body

I gasp, my eyes shocking open and a warm sensation tingling over my body. It felt like my soul was free falling, within seconds finally dropping back into my body where it belonged, and everything felt familiar. The first thing I notice is that I'm, oddly enough, cooking eggs and that I seem to be home.

But it was different.

There was a luminosity within the room, a sense of joy filled the atmosphere; the TV was playing cartoons, the blinds welcomed in beams of never ending sunlight and from what I could tell, my new dimension self was happy.

Like really happy.

I turn off the eggs frying away before me, and turn upon hearing thudded footsteps enter, expecting to see Clary , but as my eyes land on the one person I never imagined to see, I jump back in shock, a silent scream emitting from me.

Valentine was stood in my kitchen.

Immediately I grab the nearest weapon I can find, unfortunately, it happened to be a small and blunt butter knife, but in that moment of fear, anything would do. "Where's my mother?!" I roar out, my trembling hand jutting out the tedious knife towards Valentine, a threatening look on my face.

"Whoa." He states, placing the plates of toast down on the table before raising his hands in surrender, a huge smile overtaking his features. I frown in sceptically, unaware of whether I should lower the knife or attack him. "Is this from one of your cosplay skits- Uh, honey? Come in here." He calls out through the door whilst lowering his hands.

"Seriously, you have to let me come with you, just once, okay? I want to see what you do at these things, all right?" He says, a warm grin gracing his features as I notice my mother, as beautiful and bright as ever walk in, an equally as confused and tearful Clary following unbelievingly behind her.

"Mom." I whisper, instantly dropping the knife to the table and running towards her, my eyes fogging over. She seems surprised as I practically fling my arms around her, holding her tightly to my body. I grip onto her flowy dress, embracing the vanilla scent of her perfume and the warmth of her skin.

I am never complaining about her ever again, I've missed her so much.

"Wow." She says, laughing lightly, her arms holding me to her just as tight "Wow, if you miss us this much, you should really leave the dorm room more often." She teases, a chastising tone to her voice.

"Yeah we really should, we do need to spend more time with you and... dad" Clary states hesitantly as I pull away, her face emphasising the 'dad' part, and I quickly put together how different this reality truly was.

Valentine wasn't a psychopath here, he was just my dad.

My eyes glance over the rest of the room, narrowing down on my mom's paintings, all signed with J. Morgenstern. I attempt to smile and act as normal as I physically could, and quickly sit next to Clary at the table, a full breakfast laid out before me.