After Class

You awkwardly fumble with your bag and focus intently on the material of the fabric. You trace a tear on the side of it while waiting for the classroom to fully clear out. A few seconds after the last student leaves, Professor Snape gives a sharp wave of his wand and the door of the classroom slams shut, you feel the sound of it echo through your chest. Your stomach drops, and you glance in Snape's direction to see him rising from his desk.

"Miss y/ln..." Snape says, extending your name in his mouth. You don't like the way it makes you feel. Or do you? You push the thought away.

You stand up from your chair, pulling your bag over one shoulder. You shift your body so you stand face to face with him. It's hard for you to, but you meet his gaze. He narrows his eyes at you, a confused look on his face.

"What am I going to do with you..." he ponders to himself, starting to slightly pace around the room.

Deep down, you know you're not here just because you knocked over one jar; shattered glass and spilled ingredients aren't rare occurrences in potions, and they're definitely not a reason to stay after class. You know he held you back because he's finally gotten fed up with your attitude from the past few weeks. He's been looking for any excuse to get you in trouble.

You look down at your feet, and notice your skirt is slightly crooked from when you haphazardly got dressed this morning. You attempt to fix it.

"Stop fussing with your clothes y/ln!" Professor Snape angrily snaps at you, a look of rage swimming across his face. He stops pacing.

You quickly drop your arms to your sides and snap your head up to look at him. You won't lie to yourself, that look of pure anger that briefly crossed his face scared you. But it also evoked a feeling in your body you couldn't quite explain.

"Why can't you just-" he starts, "Just focus!" he begins to walk over to you. You can feel the anger radiating from his body.

You shuffle your feet backwards, desperately wanting to create more space between you and him, until you feel your legs hit the wood of a table behind you. But he continues to walk closer, narrowing the distance between you to just a couple of feet.

His eyes are filled with rage as he stares into your eyes. He's looking at you like you're a confusing arithmancy problem, a puzzle he can't solve. You hold your breath in anticipation, intimidated by how close he is to you now.

"Maybe because you're constantly coming for my neck!" you snap, unable to hold yourself back. It feels like every time he gets angry with you for seemingly no reason, it has the opposite effect on you than he wants. Sure, you might be scared as hell right now, but you refuse to show him that.

He rushes to take one more step towards you, harshly putting his hand around your neck. You inhale sharply with surprise and you feel your bag drop to the floor with a thud.

"Oh, like this?" he slightly smirks with one raised eyebrow. You feel his hot breath on your face and it sends a shiver down your spine. The wood of the table behind you digs into your back and you grab the edge of it with your hands to stabilize yourself.

Snape's face is so close to yours now, you can see the details in his skin and you notice how dark his eyes are. You find yourself losing yourself in their depth, thinking about how much mystery they hold. You see the muscles in his eyebrows twitch as he stares at you.

"Don't. Test. Me." Professor Snape says, his face inches from yours, his lips slightly parted. He then swiftly removes his hand from your throat, looking slightly shocked at his own actions. He shakes his head as he returns to his desk, leaving you standing there in complete shock.

Deliberately and with focus, you kneel down to pick up your bag. Your legs are shaking under you and it takes all your strength not to collapse. You wonder to yourself what the hell you're supposed to say to him after that, you don't think you could manage to sputter out a single word, even if you knew what to say.

As you start heading towards the door, Snape looks up from his desk to watch you. You're completely unaware of the things you make him feel. He doesn't understand them, doesn't understand you. You're just another lazy student to him, an incompetent brat. So why do you have this effect on him?

You reach the door and your fingers graze the handle. You take a deep breath, grateful you're one step away from all of this being over.

"Detention." Snape says, as if suddenly remembering the reason he held you back in the first place. He's back to his calm, monotone voice. You turn your head over your shoulder to look at him across the room, disbelief flooding your face. 

"After dinner. Don't be late." he says without care and you see a slight smirk forming on his face.

You roll your eyes to yourself, pushing yourself out the door and slamming it behind you. You slouch against the dungeon wall, the stone cooling your body. You sigh and squeeze your eyes shut.

What the hell was that?

You mindlessly walk to your next class, replaying the events in your head. Confusing thoughts run through your mind and countless feelings flood your body. You make it to Transfiguration five minutes late, but you barely hear a word Professor McGonagall sternly yells at you as you walk to your seat.

Your mind is elsewhere.