Chapter 24: Adventures

Flicking through the shirt rack, I went down a few until I found my size. I glanced around the large clothes store, seeing if there was a clerk around to tell me which colour I should get- black or white. The shirt was a simple tank top, but with the flat stomach I've always wanted since I was fourteen, it was about time I tried showing my tummy.

"Thirty dollars..." I mumbled under my breath to myself, picking out both black and white shirts and comparing them. I couldn't chose. White was innocent and made me look pretty yet black was sophisticated and made me look desirable- and I couldn't choose which one I wanted to be.

A store clerk apologised as she brushed against my back, trying to walk past me. My chest heaved and I spun around, softly clearing my throat to get her attention.

"Excuse me?" I asked her, holding up the shirts. "Sorry to bother you, but which one would you recommend? The black or the white?"

Her lips quirked in thought and she hummed, leaving me stood there for a while. Her eyes flickered from one to the other, then she smiled. "I suggest you get navy. It'd bring out the blue in your eyes." She said, and hurried off to where she was going.

I turned back around and looked at the shirts. "My eyes are grey..." I said to myself, sighing. "And I don't even want navy."

Suddenly, a pair of familiar feeling hands cupped my waist and a mouth approached my ear. "Hey there, stranger." He whispered.

I jumped and yelped in shock before covering my mouth to muffle the noise. I turned around and facing me was the Joker in a black hoodie, even with his makeup. He smirked at me and raised his brows, and I gave him a shocked look. "What're you doing here?" I looked around to ensure that nobody took notice of the freaking Joker stood right behind me.

Joker smacked his lips and eventually shrugged. "I got some, uh, time on my hands. Decided to checkon my things. My... sugar plum pancake-ah. Haha."

I sighed and raised a brow, avoiding his gaze. "So I'm a thing, am I?" I teasingly asked, turning back around to admire the shirts. Joker tutted under his breath and held my waist, leaning in against my cheek again.

"Shut up, stop feeling so... moody." He giggled slightly, baring his gritted teeth against my skin.

I shuddered and bit the insides of my cheek to try not to smile. "I'm not moody," I said, and he only laughed deeply into my hair, his soft scars brushing against my cheek and the hood of his hoodie ruffling my hair. "Hey, which shirt should I get? Black or white?" I asked, holding the shirts up.

Joker scoffed. "Don't care, let's, uh, go."

"No, c'mon. Help me out here." I said, stepping away from him. He groaned and sighed and reluctantly slouched, showing me every bit of evidence that he didn't care. I ignored him and held up both shirts and he stared at them.

He licked the insides of his scars and clicked his tongue. "Mmm... the black one. Uh, brings out youreyes."

"What colour would you say my eyes are?"

He squinted his eyes as though it were obvious. "Um, duh. Grey," I smiled at his comment, surprised that he even bothered to notice. I liked my eyes a little more now, knowing that he just... knew. "Nowc'mon, get the damn shirt and let's leave. Got places to go, Stell, people to-"

"Yeah, yeah, people to see. As in, me." I joked, placing the white shirt back and bringing the black one to the checkout. Joker had his head down the entire time as he followed me, hiding his makeup. Why he wore it outside of 'work' was beyond me. I took the shopping bag with the shirt from the checkout lady and quickly thanked her before Joker had a death grip on my wrist and pulled me close to him as he hurried us out. The grip wasn't threatening, but I wouldn't dare step an inch away from him.