Stronger than a Promise

Skye didn't know how long it had been since she had last woken up on something that wasn't the floor, but it felt glorious to snuggle herself into the plush couch underneath her.

As soon as the thought crossed her mind she froze- hadn't she fallen asleep on the floor?

She pushed herself up, groggily looking around her, still half asleep. Bellamy sat at the coffee table shoveling food into his mouth.

"Hey," she rasped out, running her hand through her hair.

"Morning," he around a mouthful of food.

She shifted to sit up, mumbling, "Did you move me last night?"

He nodded, nearly a hundred percent of his focus on his breakfast, "Thought it'd be better for your shoulder."

She reached to steal one of the flat, circular pastries on his plate and took a bite, ignoring his squawk of outrage, "Thanks."

Glaring at her, he scowled, "Well I wouldn't have if I had known you'd eat all my breakfast."

She took another bite, nearly groaning with the taste. She had never eaten food like this before. Rations on the Ark and meat and berries on the ground was all she'd ever eaten. Not much variety.

His mouth twisted, and he yanked on her arm when she reached for another. She let out a gasp as she lost her balance, but he pulled her to his lap and the force of it sent them both careening for the floor. Bellamy wrapped his arms around her and pulled the pastry right out of her hand while she was still processing the leverage change and left her laying on the ground.

He looked down at her unimpressed, "Get your own."

She laughed, bright and clear.

And Bellamy- Bellamy blushed.

~*~*~*~

Skye had decided that morning while Bellamy and her let themselves just be normal people, that she knew what her ultimate goal on the ground was.

She wanted a home.

A physical location where she could spend her time feeling safe and comfortable that wouldn't feel like a prison. She held that dream close to her, clutched it tight to her chest. She wanted a home so badly.

And it started with saving her people.

"Lovejoy's keycard will get you in the armory. The guns are locked, but the guard has the key. I can lure him away if-"

Bellamy cut off Maya's frantic briefing, "There's no time. Once Skye and I get the guns how do we get them to level five? They're watching every door."

"Maybe not," Maya stopped their quickened pace, "The mess has a trash chute."

The couple looked at each other while Maya's ideas visibly crossed her mind, "There's one on every level and there's no radiation alarms. The hatches leak like crazy, so they put in air locks just to be safe. You guys get the guns, I'll get them to the mess hall."

Bellamy looked proud of their new friend, "You're a natural-born revolutionary."

Frowning, Maya didn't acknowledge the compliment. Skye saw her mature before her eyes as the once timid girl straightened to meet his gaze, "My mom was the revolutionary. I'm just trying to do what's right."

Skye put a hand on her shoulder with a smile, "That's what makes you great."

Bellamy pulled his hat low, "Meet back here in thirty minutes."

Skye and Bellamy parted ways with her and ran down the corridor, trying to be quiet but also in a mad dash to the armory.

They had just rounded another ominously gray corner when Skye felt something grab her hair, yanking her backwards. They must have come out from one of the side rooms. Bellamy turned around at her cry and his eyes narrowed in rage.