Undeserved Forgiveness

They walked until the sun peaked up through the trees, marching with solemn faces and a quiet that was formed from collective anxiety.

Skye clutched her gun close to her, Bellamy on one side of her and Murphy in front of them both. They didn't want to let him out of their sight for a moment. He had tried to kill both of them and the fact that he saved Skye's life did not erase that.

Monroe and Sterling brought up the rear, nervously peering through the dense forest. Skye didn't judge them for their fear. The forest was loud, leaves colliding against leaves as they fought their way through the cacophony of the emerald sea. It would be very difficult to hear anyone stalking them.

The fact that it was so bright and colorful somehow made it worse.

Bellamy had two packs slung across his back. He had grabbed it from Skye before she was able to even sling it across her shoulders. She tried to get it back from him, but he only gave her a smirk and then ruffled her hair, brushing past her.

Now Bellamy was on high alert and his deep voice asked, "Alright Murphy, where to now?"

Murphy snorted, holding his bound hands in front of him, "I say we lose these first, alright?"

Skye peered at him with a blank stare that made it seem like he was irrelevant to her, answering simply, "No."

The boy grew agitated, spitting out, "Hey, if we get attacked out here, I have nothing to defend myself with."

"I don't care."

Finn, who was walking ahead of the group suddenly stopped and in one graceful move, cut Murphy's restraints. The later smirked, "Thank you."

The gratitude was a forced jab at the leaders who were losing their grip.

Bellamy pulled Finn back by his arm, growling, "What the hell are you doing?"

Finn narrowed his eyes, "It was your idea to bring him."

"Yeah, because he's the only one who knows where the Grounders keep their prisoners."

"Then we probably shouldn't let him be defenseless out here," Finn barely acknowledged the fact that despite the Ark being on the Ground and the camp split, Bellamy and Skye were still his leaders, "We can handle Murphy."

Skye watched him turn his back and resume his position at the front of their formation, muttering, "Better hope so."

Murphy approached Bellamy with that infuriating little smirk still in place, "So do I get a gun now?"

Bellamy shoved him forward.

They walked for another half hour before Murphy basically tackled Skye to the ground, whisper-shouting, "Everybody down! Now!"

Skye's hand flew up to her shoulder and she hissed at him, "What the hell Murphy?"

He pointed ahead, to where figures could be seen through the dense foliage, "This is it. Told you I'd find it."

Skye's eyes slid to Bellamy's and he gave her an uneasy stare, quietly moving to a slight dip in the ground where they could see the Grounders and still remain hidden. They aimed their guns, peering through the scopes to get a better view.

"I see nothing but Grounders," Bellamy stated.

And even then there weren't that many. She pressed her lips together, "Our people aren't here."

Despair clawed it's way to her chest, shredding her courage. If their friends weren't here then they were dead. The simplicity of the truth was devastating because no matter how resilient her people had become, they were still children.