The Heartless

Scythe supported Octavia as they raced back to camp, the latter limping heavily on her injured leg. Scythe's heart thundered to a rapid beat and the survival instincts she had accumulated over a miserable seventeen years forced her to keep moving.

Scythe heard a grunt and turned around to see Monty being hauled up by Finn, "Come on Monty, we've got to go!"

Then they heard the scream.

Clarke's blue eyes widened and she stopped running, "Jasper's alive!

She began to run back and Scythe shouted to her, "We need to go, Clarke!"

She shook her head, "Not without Jasper."

"Clarke wait!" Finn called out, "Stay in the trees."

Scythe cursed loudly and raced back to Clarke. The blonde was looking across the lake at the now empty space where Jasper once lay, "He was right there."

Monty looked devastated, "W-where is he?"

Scythe shook her head, "Whoever speared him must have taken him, now let's go."

Clarke growled at her, furious tears beginning to collect in her eyes, "We can't just leave him! Do you even care about Jasper?"

Icy rage froze Scythe's veins, but she didn't act on it, only tuned around to help Octavia back to the camp. They needed to make it before whoever speared Jasper decided to spear them too. Scythe had survived the Skybox- she could handle a few insults.

She heard Clarke yell, "We have to go after Jasper! Are you completely heartless?!"

No. She was not.

Scythe stopped moving and turned to face Clarke, who had tears streaming down her face that was red with anger. Taking a menacing step forward, Scythe stared at her with an intensity that seemed to rival darkness itself. She watched the blonde take a step back.

Good.

"I don't care about what you think of me. Call me heartless, call me a monster; I don't care. I liked Jasper," she said evenly, "but there's nothing we can do for him. Now move it."

Clarke didn't say anything else.

~*~*~

They ran all the way back to camp, Scythe's injured arm throbbing from supporting Octavia the whole way. Her friend was hissing and swearing at the pain in her leg and Scythe aimed to relieve as much of the strain as she could. But it had been a long time since Scythe had last eaten, and her body was quivering.

When they entered into the camp, Scythe saw exactly what she expected to see, Wells and a guy with longish brown hair trying to attack each other. The crowd gathered around them was chanting a name. Murphy. She guessed that was the brunette's name.

She was proud that Wells had taken her advice.

Bellamy stood off to the side, watching with interest and when Clarke yelled for them to stop his sharp eyes instantly snapped to his limping sister.

He rushed over, and practically tore her away from Scythe, "Octavia! Are you alright?

Scythe stretched out her aching muscles, "You should be asking me that. I'm the one who had to drag her sorry ass back."

Octavia grinned at her, "You're welcome."

With a burning fire charring his dark eyes to near black, Bellamy shoved Scythe furiously, forcing her to yield a few steps, "You were supposed to protect her."

"I did," She gritted out, shoving him back with equal force until they were standing where they had been, "Who do you think pulled her out of the water?"