The Burden of Atlas

Bellamy marched into camp like a king, lugging Scythe's panther behind him triumphantly.

Scythe wasn't angry that he was taking credit for the kill. It was probably for the best. She didn't want the attention. Not for death.

Clarke began ordering everyone around and rushed off into the drop ship with an unconscious Jasper, trying to save his life.

Scythe's body wasn't used to so much movement and the stress of the day wasn't making it much better. Every smell, every animal, every feeling, everything was different from the numbness of the gray cell. She was feeling overwhelmed.

Scythe was so exhausted she walked over to the tent she was told she would be sharing with Octavia and basically collapsed on its floor. She was used to sleeping in a sitting position so she ignored the bedroll and leaned against the side of the tent, closing her eyes. They had set it up so it was near a tree and Scythe could feel the rough bark biting at her back.

Still, it was better than the Ark.

A half hour later she was awaken with the rustle of the tent and a mouthwatering aroma and snapped opened her eyes.

Bellamy was standing there with a skewer of dark meat. He frowned, "Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up."

His voice was like stone on stone, low because of his exhaustion.

Scythe watched him warily, "I haven't seen Tav, if that's why you're here."

He shook his head, "I'm not here for her."

He held out the stick of meat and she took it from him gratefully. He surprised her when he held her washed jacket in his other hand.

"Thanks," she said unsurely, still confused as to what he wanted.

Scythe wasted no time in biting down on the meat, her mouth filling up with the most amazing food she had ever tasted. On the Ark there were only rations, and for the prisoners, less than that. And for Scythe- less than even that. This meat was by far the best food she had ever tasted.

She could feel Bellamy's eyes on her as she ate her piece quickly, barely any time passing before the hunk of meat was gone. She didn't think Bellamy would be so cruel as to taunt her with the food and take it from her after she'd only had a single bite- but she wasn't taking any chances. There had been monsters disguised as the oblivious before.

"Thank you," Bellamy suddenly said. She watched him out of the corner of her eye as she ate, waiting for him to elaborate. He sat down across from her, "For keeping Octavia safe in the Skybox. She told me what you did."

Scythe wiped her mouth, "Octavia is my friend. You don't need to thank me."

She leaned back against the tree again, closing her eyes but still very much aware of her surroundings.

It was strange, the feeling of a full stomach.

"You know you have a bedroll, right?" Bellamy asked, amused.

What game was he playing? Why was he still here?

"I don't sleep on bedrolls."

He cocked his head, "Did they not have beds in the Skybox?"

She didn't want to talk about the Skybox. She never wanted to think about that place again.

She looked away from his curious eyes, "It's faster to get up if you sleep like this."

Bellamy looked at her and she had the uncomfortable feeling that he could see past all of her walls. She cut off his train of thought before it could travel far, "Octavia used to tell me stories about you, you know."