Crying Blood

Bellamy's arms were warm around her and she leaned her head against his chest. He rocked her back and forth saying nothing, the both of them just listening to the wind. He held her close, his hand buried in the hair on the back of her head.

    Scythe wasn't crying. She wasn't really doing much of anything.

    Abby was dead.

    They were leaving in a few minutes to see if they could salvage anything from the wreckage. Scythe just hoped they wouldn't find any bodies.

    "How are you feeling?" Bellamy whispered to her and his voice was almost enough to make her smile.

    She really liked Bellamy. He was always so kind to her and his patience with her while she figured out how to live her life without chains made losing Abby slightly easier. But it still stung.

    "I feel... sad."

    She felt him nod and she wrapped her arm around his waist, "I can't imagine what it must have been like for you to lose your mom."

    He stiffened but she could tell he wasn't surprised. Scythe would have never brought it up if she didn't know for sure that his mind was already on her. And she could tell he was thinking about her.

    He sighed and rested his chin on her head, "My mom raised me to be good. She wouldn't like the person I've become."

   It came out in a rush- like he had bottled up the words for far too long.

    Scythe froze.

    She pulled away and studied him with absolute horror. His warm brown eyes were cast downward and she forced him to look at her, "How can you say that?"

    His lips pressed together tightly and his voice was deep as he said, "I'm not a good person. The Grounders are going to come and I'm not going to be able to stop them."

    "How does that make you a bad person?"

    "I made a promise to my mom. I promised I would look after Octavia," he scoffed, "but she's off with that Grounder who's probably going to end up stabbing her in the back."

    Scythe knew very well that there was nothing she could say to make him feel lighter. So she said nothing, only pressed a gentle kiss to his cheek.

    Octavia had been imprisoned her entire life. You don't always meet the best people behind bars. Scythe trusted her judgement.

    But she knew Bellamy wouldn't.

    "You're a good person, but you can't control everything. Your mom would be proud that despite everything you still care. I'm proud of you."

   His eyes were unfocused, like he was in his own world. She squeezed his hand, standing up, "We should get going."

    Bellamy gripped her wrist, "Will you stay here and watch over the camp?"

    She cocked her head, "Why?"

    "Raven's going," he said, as if that made perfect sense. But then he added, "And we need someone to stay in case the Grounders decide they're going to attack after all."

    Scythe sighed inaudibly. Honestly, she really didn't feel like dealing with Raven right now, not when her heart felt so heavy, "Okay."

~*~*~

    Octavia and Scythe watched while Jasper gloated over his Grounder kill, "I saw the Grounders in the trees. It was like nothing I've ever felt before. Pure animal instinct took over. One pull of the trigger, two Grounders dead."